New Boat?

General boating discussion
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Re: New Boat?

Post by S L Dave »

Not the prettiest...but one of the toughest. (copy and paste the entire link)

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002- ... )-91192958
Last edited by S L Dave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Omega3
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Omega3 »

Thanks for all the posts S L Dave!! What do you guys think about the Howard Sportfisher? I know nothing about these boats, just that they are made in Ferndale, WA.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/Ho ... ted-States
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

I don't know them either, but the boat looks awesome!! I am guessing that the hull is 1/4", but it doesn't say. It won't win any races with that motor, but nothing wrong with a 27 MPH cruise speed.

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder/Designer

Builder: Howard

Dimensions

LOA: 26' Beam: 9' Draft: 15"

Engines

Engine(s): Honda 6 cylinder OB Engine(s) HP: 225 Engine Model: BF225
Cruising Speed: 27mph

Tankage

Fuel: 110 gallons Water: 25 Holding: Porta potty

Hull, Deck and Cockpit
-Fully welded 5086 marine grade aluminum alloy construction
-Epoxy primer and acrylic urethane exterior paint
-Self-bailing/draining cockpit
-Two scuppers with flaps, positioned well above the waterline
-Bilge drain and plug
-Two pressure tested 55 gallon aluminum fuel tanks with baffles
-Fuel tank fillers/deck fittings, sending units, gauges, vents, Racor fuel filter/water separator, shut off valves, and grounds
-One large, under-sole storage compartment in pilothouse cabin
-Two large, under-sole storage compartment in aft of Alaskan Bulkhead
-Hatches/inspection ports for all internal compartments
-Natural bilge/compartment ventilation
-Limber holes throughout the length of the boat
-Non-skid cabin and cockpit sole, gunnels, and foredecks
-Full length side storage shelves in cockpit, cabin and V-berth
-Two cockpit storage lockers/box seats/side steps
-Heavy duty welded aluminum bow rails -Topside, full-length cabin grab rails -Boarding grab rails mounted on Alaskan bulkhead -Full-width swim step, dive ladder, and tramson grab rail -Kicker mount for 10hp Honda auxiliary engine -Welded aluminum transducer bracket on transom with wire way -Zinc anodes -Eight heavy duty 8" cast aluminim side cleats (welded) -Self-bailing anchor rode locker with hatch -Anchor post -Heavy duty bow roller with 16.5 Bruce anchor, 24' of high tensile strength anchor chain, and 300' of premium three-strand nylon anchor line -Spare 16lb Danforth anchor, 20' of 5/16" anchor chain & 200' of 1/2" anchor line -Large float anchor retrieval system -Heavy duty welded bow eyes -Solid one-inch aluminim stem/keel guard -Forward-leaning radar post -Shrimp and crab pot puller/davit -Stainless steel propane barbecue -Two fishing rod holders -Six premium double braid nylon docking lines -Four 8 1/2" diameter heavy duty fenders, mounted on bow rails with stainless steel fender racks -300 feet of floating polypropylene shore-tie line

Electronics
-Ritchie illuminated compass at helm station
-Furuno integrated GPS, radar/chart plotter 7" LCD color display with C-Map electronic navigation charts of Puget Sound, Inside Passage, and SE Alaska
-Raymarine ST-40 T/M digital depth sounder
-Standard Intrepid+ 25W VHF/FM marine transceiver
-Uniden Atlantis Handheld VHF at helm station
-One Nokia 5160 cellular phone
-Garmin GPSMAP76S portable, hand-held GPS unit with 12V power adapter, MapSource electronic navigation charts, and cushioned carrying case at helm
-Furuno 4KWradome with 24 mile range
-Shakespeare 5206C VHF antennae and Furuno FPS receiver, monuted of SS ratchet mounts on forward radar post
-One pair of Steiner Navigatior II 7x50 waterproof marine binoculars, with illuminated compass, floating neck strap and Celestron LensPen optics cleaning tool
-Grundig G2ACA 12 V power adapter for portable short-wave receiver
-On-board computer with:
--Topographic maps of Washington State
--Garmin MapSource BlueChart series charts for Puget Sound, Inside Passage, west coast Vancouver Island
--Nobeltec Visual Navigation Suite 6.5 with Passport Deluxe vector navigaional charts, Coast Pilots 7 and 8, tide and current data
--SoftChart CoastPak electronic raster navigation charts and PhotoNavigator Arial photographs for Puget Sound
--Logitech Cordless Elite Duo wireless keyboard and mouse
--512 MB DDR Ram
--DVD drive
--120GB hard drive
--Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Dolby surrond sound speaker system
--15" Samsung 151S black flat screen LCD monitor with RAM mount
-Dell Inspiron 7000 Notebook Computer with all Navigation Software, waypoints,electronbis charts and data
-Full set paper navigational charts
-Puget Sound and Canadian tide and current tables
-Two Inside Passage planning maps, one planning map covering the west coast of Vancouver Island
-Weems and Plath navigation set
-Several cruising guides.

Cabin and Galley
-Fully enclosed pilothouse cabin with Alaskan bulkhead
-Single-level cabin and cockpit soles (no step-down)
-Full-length Diamond Sea Glaze cabin door with window and screen
-Diamond Sea Glaze side sliding windows with sliding screens
-Forward leaning front Diamond Sea Glaze windows with two 12V electric windshield wipers
-Zolotone speckle gray interior paint throughout with carpeted walls in cabin
-High profile V-berth w/storage under 4" vinyl cushions
-Marine grade carpet hull liner in V-berth
-Bowmar hatch in front deck above V-berth
-Four aluminum shelves in V-berth, with full-length side-mounted shelves
-Insulated headliners in V-berth and pilothouse cabin
-Thetford PortaPotti under V-berth
-Two 12V interior lights in V-berth
-Three 12V interior lights in pilothouse cabin, one with red bulb for night
-Deluxe, fully adjustable swiveling helm chair
-Convertable dinette/berth with 3" vinyl cushions
-Storage under dinette seat
-Aluminum galley cabinet and shelving aft of helm
-Wallas 125DU Safeflame ceramic diesel stove and cabin heater with portable fuel tank
-Stainless steel galley sink and 25 gallon fresh water system
-Two USCG approved BC fire extinguishers
-Smoke detector
-Curtains

Electrical/Mechanical
-2003 Honda 6 cylinder four stroke OB
-1983 Honda 10hp auxiliary OB/trolling motor
-Complete Beede engine instrumentation
-TeleFlex SeaStar hydraulic steering
-Bennett hydraulic trim tabs
-Dual 6V DC golf cart house batteries wired in series
-Single DC engine starting battery
-Sealed battery boxes
-Perko four-way battery selector switch
-Shore power with NewMar Smart Charger Phase Three 110V charger, 110V outlets in cabin
-Honda portable 110V AC generator
-15 switch Blue Sea Systems 12V DC power distribution/breaker panel
-Two independently wired 3700 GPH Rule bilge pumps with float switch & 3-way switch at helm
-One 150 GPH Rule bilge pmup forward under V-berth with float switch and 3-way switch at helm
-International navigation lights
-360 degree anchor light
-AFI electric horn
-Hella Turbo window fan
-Four Hubbs halogen flood/docking lamps
-Cockpit courtesy lamp
-Multiple 12V accessory poser socket
-One million candlepower handheld spotlight

Additional Eguipment and Supplies
-King galvanized bunk trailer with dual axles, four disc brakes, electric winch, load guides, tongue jack, bearing protectors, sealed lights, mounted spare tire.
-West Marine Poll Away 280, 9'3" inflatable dingy
-Scepter DingyMate transom mount dinghy fuel tank and line
-Davis Instruments 12' telescoping aluminum boat hook
-A full set of Craftsman tools in two boxes
-Spyderco serrated rescue knife
-Kestral 400 multi-functional handheld wind/weather meter
-One Mustek digital camera
-Magma Products Nesting SS 8 piece Cookware set
-Two salmon rods, reels, and fishing tackle
-Two collapsible crab pots with bait containers, floats and leaded line
-Folding dock dolly
-

Disclaimer
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That Howard is a no-brainer, fits your requirements and your price point. As I recall they've exited the biz but don't let that sway you. A good alloy boat "don't need no stinkin' hull warranty". Have the Honda checked out and don't look back . . . oh, offer them 75k . . . :thumbsup:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

The Howard looks good and the price is right. If you get serious about it, I bet you could get a couple of us local guys to take a trip up there to give it a closer look.

That Raider has been sale for a while. I bought just about the same boat brand new, but it was a 26 footer with a custom self bailing deck, and some other upgrades for significantly less money.

Raider:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/Se ... ted-States
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Sea Raider specs

http://www.raiderboats.com/modspec.html#2b

The 24 has a 3/16 hull...the 26 has a 1/4 hull.
Last edited by S L Dave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Interesting Bob...what do you think would be a good offering price for that Sea Raider?
I guess they don't make most with self bailing decks?
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

The more I look at that Howard...the more I like it. Anybody else know about those boats?
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Heh heh heh........................ Earth to Super, Earth to Super If you are thinking boat always keep in mind our friend Bevan He has set the bar high for us to achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFmBoXyrnf0&NR=1

Man so many great Alloy so little time. Keep the Dreams high and make them reality.

Regards
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I wouldn't offer a dime for a Raider if I had intentions of taking it offshore. For the Puget Sound and lakes, it is an affordable boat with a really nice layout. I bought my Raider before the days of AAB.com. I owned a few boats and knew enough about aluminum to know that "aluminum boats" in general were good, but not enough to know that the Raider was not even close to the type of boat I needed. After I signed the papers, I really started to learn more about aluminum boats and realized why the same size boat from a company like EagleCraft, Almar, Silverstreak, Coldwater, or any of the commercial builders was 85-100k more than what I paid for the Raider.

Anyhow I was the first person to have a Raider built with a self bailing deck and it looks like it may be standard now. My Raider was the 2684 with a self bailing deck, suspension seats, larger fuel tank, 250hp Etec, a couple of other minor upgrades and I paid just a little over 65k. I also had them upgrade the trailer so I could fill my gas tank without worrying about going over its rated capacity. When I bought it, I got quotes from 4 dealers for the exact same layout and they ranged from 65k to the low 80s.

I see it all the time on boattrader, where people walked into a dealer and for whatever reason, paid too much, have their used boats listed for more than what dealerships have the exact same boats listed for new. Granted the Garmin 4212 is slick and the Wallas stove is nice, I would much rather take the new 24 footer in Oregon for 59k. It looks cooler too!

New 26 for 72,995
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009- ... y-94424641

New 24 for 59,995
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009- ... r-94424568
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Bob, I thought you had an Aerohead?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Mojo...I am just helping with the info gathering for our friend Omega3.

I don't think I could improve on my boat, but if I decide to move up in the future, you will be among the first to know.
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

Chaps:
I have the Aerohead now. I bought the Raider at the Seattle Boat Show in 07 and picked up the Aerohead a few months later.
Todd
Donator '09
Your location: Southern Calif.

Post by Todd »

SL congrats on the new boat. Just joking. Going out in the gray tomorrow.
WAR HORSE
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Heh heh heh. Yep I know SL just was trying to post that vid. I love watching it......... no calm water tests for Bevan.

Bob5292 I have boat envy and enjoy seeing your "Alloy Battleship" You have to post more pics of her ( :grin: please) Love to see the interior and her moving on the water. Do you have your running specs? Albie pictures are very welcome here.

Good luck Todd go get em. Where are you going to try???????

Omega3 if anyone can find a boat deal for you it is SL Dave ......... He has a super power but uses it for good.

Alloy here, Alloy there.... this must be paradise.
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Cool Todd...I hope you get some. I may hit the water on Sunday...not sure yet.

Mojo...U R a funny man! I love Bevan's videos. His boats (AND trailers) are amazing. I am glad that his boats are not available in the states or my bank account would have a very serious problem. I will call you tomorrow about this weekend.
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Hull designs 1119 and 1262 are just what the doctor ordered. No bargains here...just plans:

http://www.specmar.com.au/Plate-alloy-boat-kits.php

I think that Jetty would like that 1119. Thats a big dance floor for you Capt. Dave!!!
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I'll work on getting some more pictures up. It still hasn't been in the water. Right now we are waiting for Volvo to come out and program the computers. It should max out around 40. The Aerohead charter boat in Illwaco has a D6-370 and gets about 34mph at WOT.
Omega3

Post by Omega3 »

Thanks Bob for the offer, I will let you know once I get closer to making a decision.

I contacted the owner of Howard Fabrication, great guy!! They mostly build commercial boats, but it sounds like the boat that is for sale is bullet proof and will take anything the N'west waters can throw at it.

I then spoke to the owner through the broker (they wouldn't let me speak directly to him). The motor has 500 hours on it and its top speed is 28 mph. I think even with me be new to aluminum boats the Howard 26' seems to be overpriced at $89K for a 2003 boat/motor that is underpowered. I would have to consider throwing another 225 on it thus making it out of my budget. Nonetheless, I am going to be in Bellingham this weekend and will try to take a closer look.
Sobie2

Post by Sobie2 »

I think Norvelle Custom Boats in Oregon builds a pretty sweet 26' designed by response marine.

Sobie2
Bob Davis

Post by Bob Davis »

Might want to look at the ACB website. If nothing else some of the performance videos rock. The boats are safe, ride very well and are awesome on the drift and underway with a following sea. I've been very happy with mine for the last three years.

http://www.acbboats.com/index.html
2006 23' Aluminum Chambered Boat Waverunner,twin Suzuki 140s,T8 kicker,Raymarine e120. Favorite places, off the Golden Gate,Tahoe,Pyramid Lake Nevada.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

YA MEAN TO TELL ME WE FINALLY HAVE A ACB OWNER THAT JOINED OUR LITTLE WEBSITE???

-Been wondering if there were any of ya'll out.

WELCOME.....where your photos?
Bob Davis

Post by Bob Davis »

JETTYWOLF wrote:YA MEAN TO TELL ME WE FINALLY HAVE A ACB OWNER THAT JOINED OUR LITTLE WEBSITE???

-Been wondering if there were any of ya'll out.

WELCOME.....where your photos?
Thanks for the welcome. I joined sometime ago but haven't been active. This site has really taken off. Congrats!

I have some photos at my office. I'll post some next week. Bob
2006 23' Aluminum Chambered Boat Waverunner,twin Suzuki 140s,T8 kicker,Raymarine e120. Favorite places, off the Golden Gate,Tahoe,Pyramid Lake Nevada.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic