Trolling for deer

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Trolling for deer

Post by waterdog247 »

I wonder what the limit on these guys is?

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/100 ... 3934.shtml

Four young Sitka black-tailed bucks fell upon good luck Sunday as they were pulled from the icy waters of Stephens Passage, Alaska by a group of locals on Tom Satre's 62-foot charter vessel. Four juvenile Sitka black-tailed deer swam directly toward the boat.
Once the deer reached the boat, the four began to circle the boat, looking directly at the humans on board. Clearly, the bucks were distressed. With help, the typically skittish and absolutely wild animals came willingly onto the boat. Once onboard, they collapsed with exhaustion, shivering.
Dear.jpg
Dear.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Here the rescued bucks rest on the back of Tom Satre's boat, the Alaska Quest. All four deer were transported to Taku Harbour . Once the group reached the dock, the first buck that had been pulled from the water hopped onto the dock, looked back, then leapt into the harbour, swam to shore, and disappeared into the forest. After a bit of prodding and assistance from the humans, two others followed suit, but one deer needed more help.
Dear 2.jpg
Dear 2.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Here he is being transported by Tom Satre. Tom, Anna and Tim Satre help the last of the "button" bucks to its feet. They did not know how long the deer had been in the icy waters or if there had been others who did not survive. The good Samaritans (humans) describe their experience as "one of those defining moments in life." I 'm sure it was for the deer, as well.
Dear 3.jpg
Dear 3.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Attachments
Dear 4.jpg
Dear 4.jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Re: Trolling for dear

Post by Challenge »

That is so cool!, I've seen deer swimming the 8+ miles to Block island here in RI. The Coast Guard has to explain over the VHF that they do it all the time and don't need to be rescued. That is in the middle of summer 65-70 degree water.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Trolling for dear

Post by spoiled one »

If it weren't for the lactic acid build up, they would be heading to my freezer! Pretty cool story.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Trolling for deer

Post by goatram »

Cool Story and ending.

Spoiled One in a couple of years they will be bigger and provide a nice rack on the wall.

Almost like Tame Goats :mrgreen:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Perhaps, but those yearlings tender loins and back straps could be cut with a fork!

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Antonio Pendejo

Post by Antonio Pendejo »

spoiled one wrote:If it weren't for the lactic acid build up, they would be heading to my freezer! Pretty cool story.
:thumbsup: Please explain the acid build up anomalie. Hmmm... get 'em up on the boat, let 'em get rested up a bit then go Hawiian style buck crazy with a knife, at least they get a sporting chance. :rotfl:
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Antonio Pendejo wrote:
spoiled one wrote:If it weren't for the lactic acid build up, they would be heading to my freezer! Pretty cool story.
:thumbsup: Please explain the acid build up anomalie. Hmmm... get 'em up on the boat, let 'em get rested up a bit then go Hawiian style buck crazy with a knife, at least they get a sporting chance. :rotfl:
The lactic acid and heat builds up in the muscle of running or swimming game and can cause the meat to toughen up. Sitka black tail meat is some of the finest venison out there. What they lack in antler size they more than make for on the plate.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Wow! They look so content. Heck, more content than the cattle in my pasture on a nice sunny winters day.

We've had birds land and rest in the boat. Heck they've even accepted drinks of water from a bottle cap.

Do you guys think a bear or a moose would remain that calm? :mrgreen:

Wayne :beer:
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I'm thinking the Bear and Moose would need a Tranquilizer , like, let's say a 300gr Nosler partition Tranquilizer .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

That's definitely a heavy sedative.

Wayne :thumbsup: :beer:
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

AMAZING!!

But wish there was a photo of the deer actually being put on the boat.
Deno

Post by Deno »

Very cool!!
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic