Alloy Centre Console

A Place to Show and Tell
peterbo3
Contributor

Alloy Centre Console

Post by peterbo3 »

A few pics of an older boat that I have since sold.

This 18' CC was originally powered by a 75 Mariner. Note the offset transom cutout which was done to accomodate the hyd steering ram. I decided to repower with a 90 Johnsu 4 Stroke but the weight difference was substantial. Hence the full width pod in the pics. The pod added a foot to the length & gave the added buoyancy to handle the extra weight.
The seat box was for storage only. The cooler mounted in front of the console provided an extra seat & allowed two 5 gallon tote tanks to be stowed under. The underfloor tank held another 25 gallons. The bait station on the transom is a fairly standard feature down here.
With 3 POB plus all the usual stuff & a full load of fuel, fuel burn at around 4200 over 60 nautical miles (per GPS) was around TEN Imperial gallons or
slightly over 11 US gallons.
It was a fantastic seaboat but a real LITTLE GIRL if you were heading into the slop. DR was only 16-17 deg but with the sea behind you it was a really smooth, dead straight ride.
Max speed was around 37 MPH but it needed to be dead flat to do that. The boat would handle the speed but the POB would need major back surgery.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Peterbo3,

Nice rig!

Where do you fish for mainly?

I was wondering if you like her being painted? :?:

Did you paint her or did she come that way?

If you painted her, have you had much bubbling of the paint where it lifted near a seam or edge.

And if you did how much touch up and repainting have you done on here over what period of time? :roll:

You did a nice job on the extenstion, :D but I have a question about that...Since you didn't give yourself a 3" to 4" raise between the bottom of your extention, which would have given you a little increase in speed because there would be a water/air break between bottoms while running (like the NON ALLOY boats do when they make an intrgral outbracket for their outboards) you can add a set of Vovlo Boat trim tabs (like I used) they are electric, and then when you have to run in a head sea you can bury the bow and run smoother. You may want to consider them, the ride will be quite a bit different with them.
Good Luck, Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Marty,
Boat was purchased painted & had the paint matched at an auto paint shop. They then put the paint into a spray pack can which I used for touch ups. I would have preferred the hull to be bare but it came painted. Had no problem with bubbles but the boat was trailer stored & always washed after use.
The pod was mainly put on to provide the extra buoyancy for the increased weight of the Johnsu & a stepped up pod would not have done this.
We fish off the coast up to 40 miles out from Brisbane chasing snapper, pearl perch & other deep water species in up to 400'.
My new boat which is currently being built will have QLs. Pics of the build are on the Burning reel.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

peterbo3 wrote:G'Day Marty,
The pod was mainly put on to provide the extra buoyancy for the increased weight of the Johnsu & a stepped up pod would not have done this.
I hear ya about the boyance! The Boat Trim Tabs System will really help your head sea running, it will make you Vee dig in and plow without pounding into a head sea. Whan I had my Albemarle, I would drive the nose down into a head sea and although I would get worse fuel economy, I could travel at a greater speed into a head sea with the nose way bow. Just a thought! Mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic