Seawolf 31' Build

A Place to Show and Tell
jrogers
Donator '08

Seawolf 31' Build

Post by jrogers »

They have finally started work on my Seawolf (http://www.seawolfmarine.com/30/index.html). It is based on the 30' model, with 1' extra in the cockpit. These are the first pictures from last week. They promise to send me new pictures as things progress, so I will share them with you here and of course I am open to feedback if you see anything wrong or that could be improved.

I posted this thread once before, but it apparently got lost in the forum upgrade and the moderator (Jettywolf) said to just repost it.

Last edited by jrogers on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Re: Seawolf 31' Build

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

JROGERS,

I looked at Seawolf when I was looking for a builder back in 2005, I was impressed with them, I just couldn't get what I wanted from them in fuel capacity.
What size tank are you getting, I know your putting the Volvo I/O 370Hp, She should crusie in the low 30's and top near 36-38Knots IMO. How big of a cabin are you building? Are you gettign a full flush deck and raised railing around the cockpit or a engine box raised and no railings??? Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Marty,

The fuel tank is 198 gallons. I have the performance test they did on another 31' with a D6-370HP this summer. The best economy is at 26kts, 10Gph at 2.6Kmpg, or right around 30 Mph at 3.1 Mpg (sounds better not in knots!) 600 statute miles is plenty of range for where I will be going. Top speed is 35kts at 1.67 KMpg (or 41 Mph @ 1.92 Mpg). It will be a full flush deck with a raised railing The cabin is a 9' cabin, I think. It has a flipflop seat so it seats 5. We looked at expanding the cabin but we ended up deciding against it due to cost vs. our real needs. The limited fuel capacity is part of why I went diesel. For outboards the range would have been less than I wanted and it was important that I did't want to be concerned about range -- I am always sweating that with my current boat.
Jim

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Looks great, Jim. Keep posting as the build progresses. I looked into Seawolfs were on my short list, but I needed more fuel fuel capacity. They build a great looking boat, though. 3 mpg is impressive!

Pete
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Here are the latest pictures:

Last edited by jrogers on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Jroger,

Those rolled over frames make the frame extremely strong great to see them done like that. It is so exciting to get those pictures each week its like being a junkie waiting for the next fix.

I hope our conversation shed some light for you today. Keep the post coming. Mty
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Marty,

Thanks for your time today. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about your experiences with your boat. I am a firm beliver in trying to learn from others to make the best decisions possible. I was just finishing up writing up my notes from our talk so that (hopefully) I don't have to ask the same question twice. I am getting quite the document on this boat with all of the conversations and Emails I have had on this topic.
Jim

jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Boy, looks like this is a daily thing, not a weekly one. Moderators, let me know if I should stop...

Last edited by jrogers on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Great build pics!!!! Do these guys do anything with outboards? Or are they all I/B motors?

Marty, what do you have on your craft for bow entry and deadrise in the stern?
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Yes, they do this same boat (30') with either twin 225 outboards or the single D6 diesel for the same price. This was a tough choice for me to make. They also make smaller boats, such as a 26 with outboards. The boat in the background of one of the last sets of pictures in their shop is a 26' model that is in production ahead of me. It will have outboards on an extended transom.
Jim

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Once again very nice pics.......If you happen to see any of their boats with OB's Imaybe you can shoot a pic or two. I'd love to see pics. I don't see any on their web page......

You've gotta be pretty jacked like a kid the night before Christmas :D

Can't wait to see more
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

AlloyToy wrote:Marty, what do you have on your craft for bow entry and deadrise in the stern?
My girl has 50-degree deadrise at the stem, 16-degree at the stern with 45-degree bow flare.

It looks like yours is around the same too at the stem and maybe 12-15-degrees at the transom???

My Gunnels are 31" at the transom and 28" at the cabin wall with a 9" raised box for the engine, no rails. So far the box has been no problem to transistion even when I was fighting a 300+ blue marlin. It also allowed the 11-rod holders to be welded flush to the gunnels plates.

Have they spec'd the peel and stick sound deadening material for the complete waterline plates. I strongly suggest that they do it for you. You will be extremely glad they did... Mrty
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Marty,

The Seawolf is 14 degrees at the transom, and 40 degrees forward (not quite sure what they mean by 'forward'). Please explain more about the 'Peel ans stick' sound deadening at the waterline. Seawolf's web site says 'Extensive sound deadening throughout'. If you give me more details on what you have, I would like to quiz them on this to see what they use and see how it compares. The boat seemed quite quiet when we sea trialed one. The one thing I noticed is that there was some vibration when turning under power. The builder says this is normal for outdrives. I have asked around, and some say they have never noticed it on their boat, and others say they all do it, some people just don't notice it. Anyway, if you can give me a brand name on the sound deadening, I can check into how it compares to what they are using.

Jim
Jim

S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

This is pretty exciting!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

At this point it looks like I have a really nice open skiff. The owner does all of the exposed welding, and is apparently not afraid of close examination. Any comments?

Jim

Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

What are they doing for floatation on your boat?

Bob
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Bob,

Good question on the floatation. I spoke with Seawolf about this. They put air chambers in their boats 28' and under, but in the larger boats they do not. Their reasoning is that for a 9000lb boat it would require about 150 cuft of air to maintain positive floatation. (62.5lbs per sqft). This would take up most of the below deck storage, which people do not typically want to give up. Also, with 1/4 inch aluminum bottom and self bailing deck, they don't feel that there is a great need for this. I don't think this is a major concern for me, but I am curious as to what others think.
Jim

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I don't think Marty (Ironwoodtuna) has floatation either...........Marty??
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

More pictures...

Last edited by jrogers on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Big boats don't have flotation
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Hey Jim,

Looking Good! :P :P :P

SEAWOLF is the only other boat builder that I have seen, that incorporates flare in their bows, and because of that, I was really considering them. The fuel capacity and the builders non-flexibility to get me more, lead me away.

But, that said,

I really like what I see, very nice welds and quality, you'll certinly be happy with you new girl!

Keep them posts a comi'n!

marty
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Marty,

Thngs have not changed as fas as Seawolf building anything that you want. They really don't like to deviate too far from their standard boats. Sharkbait told me about the design process on his boat where everything is up in the air, whereas I can make minor changes but not things like adding lots of fuel or extending the cabin a foot. For me, 600 miles range is plenty for me, and the boat is a huge step up from where I am currently at. I still have the 'maybe I should have got the big one (33-36' with twin motors) thing going on in my head, but I think I will be happy with what I am getting due to the added weight (4000lbs) and cost (plus 65K) of the larger model. So far I am quite impressed with the craftmanship of their work.

Last edited by jrogers on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Just gee-wizz info question here...but what ya payin' at the pump now in your neck O' the woods up there?

Will you mostly do marina fuel or on the road fuel?

Just dropped to a low here...$3.53 on the road in my area, at the beach its still $3.70 on the other side of the Intra-coastal waterway. That's funny cross a ditch full of brown water and pay more for fuel. Never understood that. And pay $10,000.00 more for a house and thousands more in taxes. To go underwater when the big one hits.

They're sure moving along quick.
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Since your picture has an outboard, I assume you are talking gasoline. I think regular just dropped from $4.05 to $3.99 around town in the last week. The irony here on fuel prices is even greater. We have been pumping oil from the north slope since the 70's, and I think we rank second or third in terms of the highest fuel prices in the nation. We even have a refinery that pulls straight off the pipeline near Fairbanks and reinjects it's unused portion back into the pipe. So why do they charge so much? Because they can, I guess.
Jim

jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

More progress. The bathroom is going in. They did the fish holds a bit different than they have in the past, and they are huge. Two of them that are 58” long, 24” deep, and I think 30” wide. Also, check out the 26' that is being built next to mine. It is really coming along.

Last edited by jrogers on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic