F-150 w/Eco Boost

Truck and Trailer discussion
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

F-150 w/Eco Boost

Post by Challenge »

Hi There,

It is time to replace my Avalanche... I would love a new chevy but there is no way that I am going to buy another GM product because of the bailout. :soap:

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the EcoBoost. The numbers look great and I drove one and I'm impressed.

I've searched alot and learned a little. Please let me know any positives and more importantly Negatives!

Thanks

Rick
Jay D

Re: F-150 w/Eco Boost

Post by Jay D »

i cant help you with the f-150 but my new f-250 with the 6.2 gaser is a great truck.my last gm product had way to many electrical problems to buy another.
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

As a Ford Mechanic, I have seen DOZENS of these in for routine maintenance. Some already have 15k miles on them. Ford released the engine to dealers in spring of 2011. Not a peep out of any of them as far as problems. NOW, Let me be clear, No vehicle is perfect no matter who makes it.

Now the only thing that would make me nervous about a turbo charged engine is if the turbo charger lets go. No boost= no power. Did you watch the torture tests on Ford.com??? Motor Trend just did a test of all 4 new engines & had good things to say about them all.

I demoed one for a weekend for a friend who wants to buy one & he was very impressed. Very quite & tons of power. He currently has a Tundra with the 5.7 V8 & a E-450 Dually with the 7.3 Diesel. Depending what gear ratio you get will depend on what you get for fuel mileage. Most of them from what I have seen come with 3.31 or 3.55. Lower the number= lower towing capacity. Me personally, 3.73 with electric locker, Max trailer tow & those big honking mirrors. I currently have them on my 2004 & love them. It all depends on what you use the truck for & what you want to spend for $$. I don't worry about fuel mileage when it comes to my truck, I have a Focus for everyday driving. If you have any other :?: :?: feel free to ask.

Hey Jay D, A new 6.2 & a new boat, You must be roughing it over there in Michigan :rotfl: :rotfl:
Last edited by Sabs28 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Bailout and being owed by a foreign companies ruled out both GM and Chrysler. Ford as done well lately. I will say up until Monday night at 11pm I had no issues with my F350. Mine is the diesel. It requires DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid =Urea+Piss). The Def Pump went out and threw a check engine light. should have it on Friday. Till then Ford rented a Escape for me to drive till I get the truck back.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/
I feel this is the best of the ford sites to look in :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Jay D

Post by Jay D »

roughing it indeed,i am spending all my retirement before the government can steal it all. :rotfl:
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

I've been window shopping as well and got intrigued by the F-150 ecoboost.
More towing capacity than my Tacoma (6500lb vs 11,300lb) , and that means I can get a bigger alloy boat ( :clap: )
My searching hasn't turned up much, other than this forum http://fordecoboostforum.com/ where they
discuss the ecoboost in multiple Ford products.
In the 3.5L forum, some new owners discuss some minors issues like turbo spool up delay, and some bad coil issues....most of them seem impressed with the power. Some are racing them for laughs. Some complain about fuel mileage, but they may have their foot in it.

My son's landlord got a new F-150 Ecoboost Platinum fully loaded...almost $60K here in Canada .. he says it has unbelievable power and with twin turbos, worries the back tires might not last long.
His first highway trip was an issue.. going up the Coquihalla highway, a steady climb from the coast to interior, he lost all the tranny fluid, just leaked out somewhere, and you can guess how long it lasted... Ford took another tranny off a truck on the lot and replaced his without question. Other than that , no issues, and he's looking forward to towing a 5th wheel with it next summer.
Another friend test drove the F-150 and ended up buying a used F350 Superstroke to tow his trailer...he felt the F-150 was just too soft a suspension, and that it suffered a bit of corner sway...probably not much different than the light duty car suspension in my Tacoma... nothing a couple of Air-bags and some stiffer aftermarket shocks couldn't fix.
That said, in spite of all the testing Ford says they did, my mechanic tells me not to buy new engine technology in the 1st year, as there are always design improvements after they get real world service data. but I'm watching closely...I want bigger tow capacity, and better fuel economy, but I don't need more payload, and I'm not keen to go back to diesel...so the F-150 is definitely on my radar.
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

A lot of hype, tiny V6 with turbos does not seem like a good idea for a truck rated to tow 11k lbs, lets see how they are holding up once they get some mileage on them.
As far as the torture test videos Ford created with Mike Rowe I would take that with a grain of salt and consider the souce, more of a commercial than anything else.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

-COULDN'T COME CLOSE TO AFFORDING ONE!!
-WENT DIESEL INSTEAD....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic