Blowing out windshields???

General boating discussion
Trousertrout

Blowing out windshields???

Post by Trousertrout »

I have a trip to the Oregon inlet in February in my duckworth 30xl that I should be getting middle of October. Has anyone with the forward leaning windshields ever taken on really green water? I mean like 10' breakers green water. I am thinking that this is my weakest link in the trip...... Besides my inexperience with the inlet. Planning on following a 70' Hatteras out to batten down the crests for me if they are able.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Blowing out windshields???

Post by Chaps »

You can't be serious, what is the point in going out in those kind of conditions?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

I'm talking worse case scenario. I know I will be taking green water over the bow. 10' , hopefully not. I will have roughly a 1 mile stretch of bar crossing that is snotty on a east/northeast swell and outgoing tide. My plan is not going out on any of those. Weather changes so I'm just mentally preparing. I consider myself above average on timing sets because I've ran a good amount of inlets. But I won't get my boat until October.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Be sure to video the bar crossing BOTH ways and share with us.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

I will have GoPro's out the wazu everywhere on the boat. Starting a YouTube page 'reel polack". I don't speak good English so don't hold that against me. Plus I'm polish so I might be crossing the bar in reverse.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Trout,
for what it's worth; the reason forward raked windscreens came about was green water on the foredeck.

In the later 50's and into the 60's many Seattle fishermen had found the crab fishery of the Aleutians and converted old halibut schooners to reap those tonnes of gold. But those schooners had mostly plumb glass in wooden cabins and when the lump came aboard as it does often in those seas, they lost the entire windscreen and some of the boats were lost as a result.

So the builders of the newer (then) steel crabbers especially Marco, and some other P.S. builders, reasoned that a raked windscreen was least likely to fail in an oncoming, boarding sea. The water wasn't impacting a vertical surface or an after raking surface (90 degrees plus the wt of the water in the latter case) so the raked forward glass had the best chance of allow the water to run off the cabin/trunk and not take out the windscreens.

While I realize that you'll be in an area famous for its tall, steep seas, I think your cabin is as well designed as could be expected for the class of boat you'll be in. (I will take it as given that the forward glass is mounted in aluminum bezel windows and not rubber extrusion that can be pushed in easily.)

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

Thanks so much for the responses and I will put a link on here so everyone can see the outcome
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Trousertrout wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:07 pm I will have GoPro's out the wazu everywhere on the boat. Starting a YouTube page 'reel polack". I don't speak good English so don't hold that against me. Plus I'm polish so I might be crossing the bar in reverse.
Now that's funny , I don't care who ya are. Great attitude Trout. :beer:
Lester,
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

You can post a hyper link to your YouTube channel here if you want in your signature.
Lester,
alumioforte

Post by alumioforte »

Always insist your forward facing windows are made of laminated glass.
The correct application in this case is:
6MM (1/4") TEMPERED glass on the outer layer;
3MM PVB or RESIN "interlayer"
3MM (1/8) float glass interior.

The reason for this formula:
1. The 6MM tempered outside resists impacts from debris or objects;
2. the interlayer allows the window to remain watertight when broken ( its like a layer of glue between the panes of glass)
3. The interior is NOT tempered; tempered glass shatters into small peices- and in the case of severe impact the "spall" would injure the interior occupants. This is why bullet resistant glazing is made using this formula (but in much thicker segments).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic