Wooldridge Pilothouse's under construction photos

General boating discussion
luff2fish

Re: Wooldridge Pilothouse's under construction photos

Post by luff2fish »

What's the make and model of the BBQ Grill, it looks like just what we'll need for our new boat too
West Lake Willows

Post by West Lake Willows »

I have a magma Newport. . http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/M ... wport.html

Wouldn't have a boat without one. I dont use the 1lb disposable tanks. Just buy the adapter hose at most hardware stores that go to a regular tank. I use a 5lb tank that is small so doesn't take up a lot of deck space. Lasts much much longer then a 1lb tank and is refillable. Will save you huge money. You can make some go meals off allittle BBQ. Makes a day on the water a lot more enjoyable in my opinion.

There are lower cost grills. I have used a few. The best I have experience with is the magma I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Scott
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

Post by glen wooldridge »

luff2fish wrote:What's the make and model of the BBQ Grill, it looks like just what we'll need for our new boat too
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Hours: Monday through Friday
7:30AM to 4:00PM
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

The next Pilothouse is a 29' going to Anchorage this week. We are just finishing up a few details. Here's a few pictures. Glen

Lots of Garmin.

Anchor pulpit, electric winch, high bow rails, gull wing door and docking lights.

Transom door, stereo speakers, locking rod lockers, downrigger bases, under-floor fish boxes, transom fish box and twin 150HP Yamaha's.
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

A couple more feature photos.

Grant took the owners for a ride today. Here's some photos on the water. The boat will ship to Anchorage this week. Glen

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I sure would like that double wide garage door boat house on Lake Washington in the background. That is sweet.
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

The next 29' Pilot going through rigging. Glen

Bow pulpit with tall rails, radar arch and gull wing door.

Transom door, rod locker storage and under floor fish box storage.

Second helm and storage underneath.

Aft helm port side where davit will go to lift shrimp and crab pots for storage.
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

What is the aproximate weight of that 29' boat?
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

Fisherman wrote:What is the aproximate weight of that 29' boat?
This 29' Pilot on a triple axle trailer with custom corian counter and table top plus all the extra gear from their shopping spree in Seattle, across the scale was 10,200 lbs.

Glen
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

The 29' Pilot we are currently rigging is going to Portland Marine Electronics...http://www.portlandmarineelectronics.com/
They will be hanging the motors and installing the electronics. This photo shows the bow pulpit, electric winch, gull wing door and radar arch.

Working on rigging the dash, furnace, stove, fridge and sink.

The next Pilot is another 29'. It will be coming out of the paint booth today.

Most the Pilots we build are custom ordered, but we have a 20' and a 24' Pilot for sale. Go to... http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/used-vehicles
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

This 29' Pilot is heading to Portland Marine Electronics today. http://www.portlandmarineelectronics.com/
They are installing motors and electronics. If you are in the Portland area, stop by PME and check the boat out. Glen

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Dstrbdxpak

Post by Dstrbdxpak »

Glen,

Can we get a few more on the davit? Particularly the boom setup. Will this later serve to lift a raft?
glen wooldridge wrote:
Aft helm port side where davit will go to lift shrimp and crab pots for storage.
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

Dstrbdxpak wrote:Glen,

Can we get a few more on the davit? Particularly the boom setup. Will this later serve to lift a raft?
glen wooldridge wrote:
The davit in the transom location is for a shrimp/crab pot puller. The roof location is a place to get it out of the way and use it to put the pots on the roof and maybe a light raft. Glen
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Sobie2

Post by Sobie2 »

Dear Grant or Glen,

I have to first applaud your shop for the fantastic web presence Wooldridge Boats has. We all appreciate your feedback and insight. So here is my question:

I have a few boats, and am in the middle of repowering one, and am about to have another built. I live in Juneau, AK. Wooldrige installs all brands of motors on their boats. I like matching motors on my boats, and I love the new Etec 15 HO kicker. I am about to buy one for my 23' I am skeptical about the larger Etec's longevitiy from 1st and 2nd hand reports of earlier Etecs in Alaska. I am looking at a 24-26' alum pilothouse and thinking about twin 115-150 etecs or a single 225-300 etecs either option with the afore mentioned kicker. You have posted some great performance reports of the etecs on your pilothouse models. I know from first hand experience that the Yamaha's in the 115-150 range have had outstanding longevitity, and so have the Honda 225's. The USCG, NOAA, USFS, and AK State Troopers used to run Etecs but have since converted over to Hondas, but those are in the 200+ hp range (and are getting upwards of even 8,000 hours on some). How are the Etec 115-130-150s holding up (a local marine surveyor claims two stroke optimax and etecs tend to not make it much past 1,000 hrs... this is from insurance claims)? Do those range of Etecs have a performance advantage over the yamaha's in that 115-150 range? What about longevity? I have talked to many charter boat operators and lodges for both salt and river outfits. As I first mentioned I am leaning towards jumping in head first into the Etec brand for $30K+

I know you have personally experienced both, and I (and WE here at aluminumalloyboats) really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. FYI there are three great outboard dealers here for Yamaha, Honda, and Evinrude here in Juneau.

Sobie2
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

(How are the E-Tec 115, 130 and 150's holding up?)

There are a number of local fishing guides running E-Tec's and they seem to be holding up great. One V6 I know of, has near, or over 2,000hrs on it now.

(Do those range of E-Tec's have a performance advantage over the Yamaha's in that 115-150 range?)

Top speed would be about the same. The E-Tec's would win the race off the line. Glen
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Sobie2

Post by Sobie2 »

Great thanks Glen!

Well I may very well give the etecs a try on my repower.

I know that here in AK we have bad fuel to begin with, and when you couple the "new issue" of ethanol you get serious trouble. I have had a few boats recently have trouble with ethanol caused water outboard motor problems. I now run the Blue Ethanol Marine Stabil in my motors (with racor or yamaha 10 micron water/fuel filters) and have eliminated a few problems with my motors. I have a Honda carbed 90 that was a hard starter (now cured) due to water uptake with ethanol fuel, and a few new Yamaha F150 on a new boat that got water into the final water/fuel seperator on the engine... after only running new gas (now cured). My other friends have faced this problem with their new motors. [color=#FF0000]So I am willing to bet that much of the etec reliablity issues in AK have been caused by ethanol/water in fuel systems. [/color] All brands would benefit from the afore mentioned remedies.

I am thinking trying something different the 15 HO kicker mounted between two 115s (with icon digital controls). I wonder why the kicker is put off to the side... I do a lot of salmon trolling and it makes sense to mount the kicker in the center if possible.

Sobie2
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

One of the main things that would influence what motor I picked would be what service was available in your area and who you had the best relationship with. I asked a friend today about this topic who pilots boats for the local fire department. He told me he knows of a government boat with twin 200HO E-Tec's that have 3,500 hours on them. I'm not trying to say you should use E-tec's, I'm just trying to answer your E-Tec question. The two motors we use the most are E-Tec and Yamaha. Glen
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

This is an update on the 29' Pilot at Portland Marine Electronics.http://www.portlandmarineelectronics.com/

They are currently hanging the motors and installing the electronics. If you are in the Portland area, go by and check it out.

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

The 29' Pilot we are currently rigging is powered by a 350hp Yamaha. We are really looking forward to testing this boat with a single 350. It also has a 9.9hp next to it with an auto-pilot.

Here a picture of the dash with lots of Humminbird's.

The next Pilot getting started is a 23'. It's going to be powered with twin 150 E-TEC's. Glen

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Sobie2 wrote:Great thanks Glen!

Well I may very well give the etecs a try on my repower.

I know that here in AK we have bad fuel to begin with, and when you couple the "new issue" of ethanol you get serious trouble. I have had a few boats recently have trouble with ethanol caused water outboard motor problems. I now run the Blue Ethanol Marine Stabil in my motors (with racor or yamaha 10 micron water/fuel filters) and have eliminated a few problems with my motors. I have a Honda carbed 90 that was a hard starter (now cured) due to water uptake with ethanol fuel, and a few new Yamaha F150 on a new boat that got water into the final water/fuel seperator on the engine... after only running new gas (now cured). My other friends have faced this problem with their new motors. So I am willing to bet that much of the etec reliablity issues in AK have been caused by ethanol/water in fuel systems. All brands would benefit from the afore mentioned remedies.

I am thinking trying something different the 15 HO kicker mounted between two 115s (with icon digital controls). I wonder why the kicker is put off to the side... I do a lot of salmon trolling and it makes sense to mount the kicker in the center if possible.

Sobie2

Mounting the kicker BETWEEN the two main motors is not done because on most boats you would a 30" or 35" shaft because of the DEEP V.
A 2nd reason is the control arm [to steer the 2nd motor would have to be much longer and with that steering arm connecting the 2 motors you might not be able to TILT the kicker motor up when not needed.
As far as which motor to buy? I would go with what ever I had the BEST DEALER support with.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Good point on why the kicker is not center mounted on monohulls (hull being too deep there). I guess that is why you primarily only see that arrangement on cats.
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

Ran the 29' with the 350, runs great! Will do a test with the Yamaha Representative next. Glen

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

This is Yamaha's test results with a couple thousand pounds on board. (Four adults, 150 gallons of fuel, etc.)

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

That's a lot of boat with that weight and it's bumping 2MPG at a GOOD cruz.

Well done Glen. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

30 miles per hour at just about 2 miles per gallon is pretty sweet!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic