Marina Hoist Dropped my Boat!

General boating discussion
BCTony

Marina Hoist Dropped my Boat!

Post by BCTony »

Recently I needed to take my boat out of the water to take in to the dealer for service etc. As it was a rough day, I decided against using the boat ramp and to utilise the marina hoist to place the boat on my trailer to avoid any mishap. Or, so I thought! What happened is that the hoist operators when manoeuvring to remove the slings managed to allow the boat to slip off the slings backwards onto the trailer where with its momentum the boat continued to slip back at an angle until it hit the ground.

The boat did not hit the ground very hard but you certainly would not want to have been underneath! My boat is an aluminium North River Seahawk 18’6’’ with offshore bracket and Yamaha 115 and 9.9 and full with fuel, so somewhere in the region of 3000lbs of total weight.

As soon as the boat contacted the ground it stopped. Fortunately, neither of the engines hit the ground and the contact point on the boat was the rear edge of the offshore bracket (which is a continuation of the hull – not a welded-on extra). The transom plug unscrewed without difficulty and apart from a slight scratch on the bottom paint there would not appear to be any damage. Apart from mutterings about my ‘super-slick trailer bunks’ being responsible, the hoist operators have not suggested anything. It has been suggested to me that I should have the boat x-rayed, but where? Also, I have asked the dealer to inspect.

I am of course very worried to do the right thing; I bought the boat new only two years ago. As I guess this is not the first time an aluminium boat has been dropped, I would very much welcome advice at to what to do.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Marina Hoist Dropped my Boat!

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I don't trust no one. "IF" ya want it down right, do it yourself is my motto. Yeah those marina's, I'll never ever do that. Even forlifted boats get banged around, engine covers cracked etc.

Can't help you with an x-ray. But I guess it goes without saying that you'll trailer it yourself from now on. And those super slick trailer bunk pads.

I'd get rid of them too.

Just put the boat a bit deeper in the water, instead. Or get rid of grippy wet carpet (if so) and cover the bunks with Home Depot black rubber carpet "runner". Especially if you have pressure treated, NON-Cypress wooden bunks. Cypress has no need for presurre treatment. And even if it did, thick black Rubber carpet "runners" aren't porous like a sponge.

You did snap a photo, the minute the boat slipped and hit right?
Judge Judy always want photos when you come to her, court room. :popcorn:

damage pics?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

BC, take it to the Manufacture or Dealer , let them document it, Chances are there is nothing wrong structurally with your hull, these Alloy boats are TOUGH. I know one guy that dropped his 19 Pacific onto the concrete boat ramp the PUSHED IT BACK IN THE WATER ON THE CONCRETE the reloaded , just had some scratches that looked like a Cat had scratched the hull. Thank God he had already tilted his motor up as it did not hit the dck.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

If it is a "welded" boat, I would have a dealer look at it & a well know welder look at it, check for cracks in the welds & such. If you still don't trust anyone, fill the bilge with water to check for leaks, use some food coloring so you can see it easier. I also have heard stories of boats hitting the ground hard with only a scratch or 2 to show for it. I have hit some rocks in my Lund pretty hard & only have some very small dents ( if they qualify for a dent even ). Like Les said, let the dealer put every thing on paper so you have it.

Good Luck.
buck3

Post by buck3 »

Why not just use some petetrating dye to check for cracks?
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Try running OVER a old plastic boat....Like James Bond in "Live and let die". With out a single problem. :thumbsup: C'C'mon

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
(inside story)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic