Aluminum thru hull fitting???

General boating discussion
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Aluminum thru hull fitting???

Post by Gundog »

When I had my boat built I insisted on not having any plastic thru hull fittings below the water line. They made a tube that doubles as a handle off the transom that picks up water for my washdown. I have a livewell that recirculates the water in my rear transom well. The rear transome well is split in 2 parts with a plug between the wall in order to flood the livewell you turn on the valve and fill one tank that spills into the other or just run a hose to the bait bin from the washdown. The livewell then has it's own pump that will then recirculate the water in that tank. Are you confused yet.

I would like my livewell to have it's own pickup so it does not rely on the washdown system for water. I also do not want any plastic thru hull fittings below water line. I once saw a picture on here of a fitting made from aluminum that I believe Pacific boats uses for this it was a high speed pickup made from aluminum. I have searched and cannot find the picture do any of you have this fitting or a picture and do you have any feedback on this fitting?

If I do not find anything I will machine one and have it welded in.

One of the issues I have is with the tube I believe the pump has to lift the water further than it was designed to do resulting from poor pressure at the hose. What I originally wanted done was to have the tube go inside the bilge just high enough to be above the water line so that any hose failure would not reult in flooding the boat. When they suggested running it up like a handle I thought it was a good idea forgetting the basics of how pumps work and this type pump is not designed to pick water up from 3' so I am sure that is why I have low pressure. I am now trying to figure out how to make it better. I do not fault the builder as they did what I asked I just need to figure out how to improve it.

The washdown hose is also split so I have a hose in the front of the cockpit by my rear steering helm and a spigot inside the rear fish well. I am sure this extra length of hose does not help the issue either.

Thanks Mike

This picture shows the tube.
Attachments
Wooldridge 11 4-13-10.JPG
Wooldridge 11 4-13-10.JPG (242.37 KiB) Viewed 9092 times
peterbo3
Contributor

Re: Aluminum thru hull fitting???

Post by peterbo3 »

Hi Mike,
The water pickup in the grabrail is common down here but I have a half clamshell fitting welded onto the bottom of the hull which was a piece of pipe sliced at 60 deg then welded on. A pipe is then welded onto the inside of the bottom plate & up through the deck to give a watertight connection. If you need heaps of water then go for a 1 1/2" ID pipe & cut the clamshell from it. No pics as camera is US.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

Thanks Pete, I sure would like to see a picture of that. I think I know what it would look like.

Mike
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ya mean this??????????????

http://www.fraserbronze.com/scoop-stainer

Jus a click away on Google.

Yepper, I have one, welded to a pipe and comes up the stern on my boat jus' like that too. Supplies my washdown, and I use my wash down attached to a "timer" to run my bait well. Works no problemo.

Sureflo blaster pump. Pics up water from 12 feet away. A lil Rule won't. Ya need a real pump!
http://www.shurflo.com/marine-products/default.html
Timer: off, run, or 3,5,7 minutes cycles, and runs for one minute. Keeps from putting so much wear on my pump.
http://www.basspro.com/Livewell-Aerator ... _THUMBNAIL
Bought the timer from Bass Pro Shops, go figger.
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

Mike
netman

Post by netman »

I too would like to see some water pickups for livewells. I have seen some jerry rigged ones and looking for something with a little cleaner look. I run lots of water in and out of my boat. I am in the process of 'remodeling' my boat and would like to figure in a water pickup. Got my sweet-water aerator installed and my fish are very frisky on the way home from the water.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic