18' bayrunner question

General boating discussion
rc12ls

18' bayrunner question

Post by rc12ls »

Hello, I'm interested in purchasing a 1988 18' Bayrunner for a $4200. I'm pulling sofa cushions trying to muster up the money. Before I drop my life saving, I want to know if its versatile enough for local lake fishing and occasional harbor/coastal fishing. The owner claims the boat has only been in fresh water and there is no corrosion. It would be my wife, 7yr old son and I fishing from the boat. Is this boat suited for what I plan? I was originally going to buy a 16' Bass Tracker Jon but It would be nice to ocean fish now and then. I have some small boat experience as I've sailed the Channel to Catalina twice on a small 23ft NON ALLOY boat but I'm unfamiliar with aluminum boats. I'm assuming the big bow on the Bayrunners make them ocean going boats? Any information would be appreciated. Thank You, Eddie
Deno

Re: 18' bayrunner question

Post by Deno »

I love them Bayrunners, I don’t have a problem running them 20 miles offshore (Weather and gear permitting), Just make sure and check for electrolysis, cracks, pin holes… 1988 is a little old (my2) … Good luck

PS...Before you get IN2DEEP contact IN2DEEP :thumbsup: … He has a Bayrunner battle wagon… And has lots of knowledge about these rigs…
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

My 85 Bay runner never seen the fresh water , they are great for Bays and up and down the coast. Just watch the weather and plan your days.
These boats are NOT speed demons in chop, again, plan your day and allow time to travel on the water.

You might want Kenny at tradewind inflatables and marine to check it out for you. His number is 949-574-8667 tell him , Les from Texas sent ya , he is in Costa Mesa/Santa Ana
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

Thank you for the information. Please read next topic, I came across a Boston Whaler Montauk.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Just playing a little Devil's advocate. Please do not take offense......... Your budget is $4200.

Please make sure you have enough money to make your modifications....... Safety equipment, Electronics (GPS,Fish finder, Marine Radio, Spot locator, Auto tether) ..... Motor Maintenance and annual Boat US membership card .

Though we do get excited about a acquisition. Check out the motor by a licensed technician. Pull The deck panel check the rib welds. Take a sea or lake trial hit a small wave or wake see if the boat shudders, creaks or if the center console has a loose feel. Fill the boat with a foot of water and see if there are any leaks. Check the Transom with a fine tooth comb Bay Runner's use a piece of wood as additional support there and are susceptible to corrosion. Check the zincs see what condition they are in. Most well maintained Alloy boats Will change those out regularly. Check out the trailer Make sure it is in working order. Check the boat where it sits on the bunk for Poultice corrosion. Check to see if the wiring is properly grounded. Check the starter cable. The batteries less than 2 Years Old??? How does the Boat and trailer Tow with your vehicle???? All the Trailer lights work???? How About the running lights Bayrunner of this size are notorious for corrosion of the contacts!!! Understand you will have a yearly property tax.

As Welder commented it is probably easier to have Kenny at Trade Winds check her out. He probably knows more about Bayrunners then any one in Southern California :thumbsup: I'll stake my reputable reputation on Kenny's opinion :rotfl:

It is a buyers Market Always haggle for a better price.

I am also an owner of a 19 foot Baja Bayrunner for 14 years. If properly taken care of they are reliable, sea worthy and very durable. That craft you are looking at would be perfect for Diamond Valley Lake :thumbsup: The only thing I could think of that would be better is a 17 foot Baja Bayrunner in your price range. Contact SLDave our local guru and overall great guy on finding boat deals I am sure he can steer you in the right direction :thumbsup: As is Deno who owns a Bayrunner project and IN2DEEP is an amazing person and whom I think is very mechanically proficient and is the Photo Shop King.

I will give you last bit of AAB advice " Pictures Please" :rotfl:

Welcome To AAB

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

SLDave offered to look around for a Bayrunner and I sent him this letter about the 1988 18' Bayrunner for $4000 in Craigslist I went to see today: " I live in So California.(Beaumont, near Riverside) Thank You. I went to San Diego today to look at a 1988 18' Bayrunner for $4000 and found some bad damage near transom, under hull. The seller said he didn't know it was there. On the phone he said the boat was pristine. I got there to find a heavily oxided boat and trailer, no working trailer lights, no lic. plate on trailer, out of registration for 5yrs, 2 nice dings to side of hull and worst of all the damage under the hull, which split the seem, the boat may leak. The oxide and dents I can handle but the awful damage under the boat was ridiculous. The outboard is an old 50's 2stroke. A waste of gas(200miles round trip) I offered him $2000 for the boat and trailer and left. I'm going to keep looking and keep saving my money. Thanks for any help. Eddie "
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Hang in there Eddie , we will find a nice ride soon , just keep saving your beer cans .

Oh yeah , my sister was born in Beaumont Ca. , my Dad worked for SDG&E.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Post by aluminumdreamer »

rc12ls wrote:Thank you for the information. Please read next topic, I came across a Boston Whaler Montauk.
You are very fortunate you discovered this site before you bought an alloy boat. Learn as much as you can before you buy! Alloy boats have their advantages but they can also have their problems if not properly cared for as you found out. It is nice to find things like this out before purchasing. I however discovered AAB after I purchased my boat and am still learning the hard way.

We are all very lucky to have this great resource. Thanks to all of the knowledgeable guys that contribute on a regular basis.

Keep looking, you will find the boat you are looking for. Be patient it will happen. :thumbsup:

Nate
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

We love this town ,Welder, the town which ain't so little anymore. We lived here about 7yrs and I meet a lot of the older locals before the area really bloomed. The city still does most activities it always has done(4th of July concerts;we had KC and the Sunshine Band show up, Cherry festival, October Fest,etc.) We still have antique stores but they're slowly going. We really tried keeping Walmart out but big money always changes things...... Yes Aluminumdreamer ,this website helped. As a matter of fact, I only meticulously inspected the transom ,where the worst damage was, after reading here. I could not see the damage just looking under the hull from the front or sides but, because what was posted to me about the wood rot in the transom, I knelt on wet grass and got down to look........ Okay, another idea, has anyone built an aluminum boat here? I've come across many websites selling plans/kits to build aluminum boats. I have a full blown machine shop in garage which I do mostly custom work for competition airguns. My dad was a weldor and I grew up welding. We had many contracts and one was welding up aftermarket wing tanks for a Ultralight supply company. I welded,for many hours using TIG, tanks in jigs and have since then welded aluminum using all processes including Zinc. Anyway, here at AAB I've come to learn there is a difference between a Tin Boat and a Pacific boat(etc) by about .170 thousandths and 10k of dollars. I know a local suppliers where I can purchase 5086,marine grade sheets to 20' lengths. Do you see where this is going? I also know,being a weldor, 90% of the time you can't produce one item cheaper then Big Production can, but this might be the 10%. Anyway, just thinking loud, I'm not sure I want a big project but I would have a better boat :popcorn: ..... Eddie
Deno

Post by Deno »

** NOT MY BOAT***

17ft western aluminum welded cc 40hp suzuki runs great $3900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for sale is a western aluminum 17ft cc wide model welded , great boat for ocean and lake, 40 hp suzuki perfect shape recent complete tear down and rebuild of entire outboard , fully loaded tons of gear comes with boat , new bimini , anchors , seats , bait tank , front cooler , all electronics, too much to list , bait tank and seats are removable to use for any activity , trailer is in good working cond new tires , has dual battery recent 6 volt trojans, boat is super light i tow it with my 4cyl ranger , gas tank last all day , fished coronados la jolla 2 trips to baja loreto etc , etc any other ? just ask 714-465-657three ben la habra ca need to sell asap thats the only reason its so low priced need to bills $3900
17western1.jpg
17western1.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 15237 times
17western1.jpg
17western1.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 15237 times
Attachments
17western.jpg
17western.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 15237 times
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

Thanks a lot !, sure is a nice boat but I just picked up a 21' Bayrunner... Eddie
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Nice! Lets see some pictures.

Nate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic