hydrofoil stabilizer

General boating discussion
SJD

hydrofoil stabilizer

Post by SJD »

I bought a 2005 pacific v2025 hard top with a 135hp Honda last year. Motor came with a sting ray hydrofoil stabilizer. I can't give precise fuel efficiency data, but I am using more fuel than I expected to with this boat. Anybody have any comments re the hydrofoil, pros and cons and any impact on engine performance and efficiency?
pjay9

Re: hydrofoil stabilizer

Post by pjay9 »

I had one on an old boat with a 60HP two stroke...it was there for a purpose to get the BACK SIDE end to rise some...didn't really notice a dif in gas use. But i suspect at lower HP and 2 stroke it would have been hard to measure. It took some runs to get the attack angle just right. It didn't have a trim either.

With your motor and the trim, why should it be there? Do some experiments making runs and see how boat rides, take it off and do exactly the same runs...it seems that with that boat and motor you shouldn't need it!!! Do you know how the boat was used before you? Maybe the guy loaded it heavy in the stern or something odd to need the lift. Frankly, I'd take it off and see how you like the ride and fuel use...don't even fiddle around with the experiments...put your gear aboard and pax, and bait and go fishing! Capt PJ

PS I bet the other Pac owners will tell you the same...just a hunch! :thumbsup:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
SJD

Post by SJD »

I don't know how the boat was used before. I had the same questions because it is not standard equipment and I have never seen one on any other pacific.. My understanding is that the device helps the boat get up on plane and is supposed to improve efficiency, yet I have not heard either of these being issues for pacifics. Any chance that the boat could be underpowered with the Honda 135? The motor seems to be running flawlessly, and other than less fuel efficiency than I expected I am satisfied with the boats performance. Do folks with this boat/motor often use trim tabs?? Unfortunately it looks like it is bolted to the cavitation plate with four bolts, not sure if taking it off and leaving for holes behind will make matters worse. Will have to experiment and find out..
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

I have one on my 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha. the benefit to me is getting on plane quicker with load, and staying on plane using lower rpm, which theoretically should improve fuel consumption if the engine is not working as hard.
it cost me 3 mph in top end WOT speed, which i don't miss because I never run WOT .
if it is costing you speed/fuel from too much drag, perhaps check if your motor is mounted too low in the water when on plane.
hope that helps.
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I think a lot of those foils end up on engines that really needed a lower pitch prop instead . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

What kind of fuel economy are you getting?
What's you cruising speed and RPMS at cruise?
RPMS @ WOT?
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Check your engine mounting height. On my 2025, I raised the mounting from the lowest position to the highest position. I have a long shaft engine and this was clearly installed too low. This adjustment has increased my fuel performance around 25-30%. I figured the mount height was an issue when I noticed a vertical spray pattern coming off my outboard. In the trimmed position, the anti cav plate should be about 1" above the keel for every 12" it is behind. There is a thread on this in the forum you could search for.

I have a 140 on mine, its a rocket. Your 135 is plenty of power.
FishHunter

Post by FishHunter »

A hydrofoil does many things. One, gives you more rise and puts you on plain quicker and at a lower RPM. Two, eliminates cavitation during sharp turns. Three, gives you better (not worse) fuel economy.

The fuel economy isn't much and you may not even notice a difference but in theory, by alowing you to plain quicker at a lower RPM it's only going to help you not hurt you. We have one on our boat (not a Pacific) and it works great. Try taking it off and see if you notice a difference but I would imagine if your fuel economy isn't where you feel it should be its a prop issue or something else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic