Hey, anyone seen an aluminum boat around here?

General boating discussion
DwayneJ

Re: Hey, anyone seen an aluminum boat around here?

Post by DwayneJ »

Attached is a link to photobucket...

http://s792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... =slideshow

Tom Nelson's old 759 "Stabi DaWg'

4 Meter 459

5 Meter 529

829 Sunset
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

StabiUSA:

Nice looking photos. Very informative. I know Stabi uses a NON ALLOY top (or bonnet as they call it in NZ), but
I always wondered where the metal ended and the NON ALLOY began. The second photo answers this question
for me, showing the boundaries of the unpainted metal.

It's going to be a nice riding boat when it comes.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Bob Davis

Post by Bob Davis »

Hi Stabi USA

Sweet looking Stabi. I love to see photos of aluminum boats being built. I used to see their dealer in Bellingham on the way to the ramp that ACB uses. Please tell Marty that Bob Davis from Lockeford Ca. says hi. When he was in charge of rec. boats over at ACB we had great experiance buying from him. No pressure, he just wanted to make sure we were getting the boat how we wanted it set up. It was a fun boat buying experiance with no regrets.
2006 23' Aluminum Chambered Boat Waverunner,twin Suzuki 140s,T8 kicker,Raymarine e120. Favorite places, off the Golden Gate,Tahoe,Pyramid Lake Nevada.
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Illgotoo wrote:StabiUSA:

Nice looking photos. Very informative. I know Stabi uses a NON ALLOY top (or bonnet as they call it in NZ), but
I always wondered where the metal ended and the NON ALLOY began. The second photo answers this question
for me, showing the boundaries of the unpainted metal.

It's going to be a nice riding boat when it comes.
Its definitely an alloy top - They bring the alloy window/roof and hull together during final assembly.

Regards Dwayne

Attached is a picture of the underside of the roof before they finish the sides and line it. In this picture you can also see the rocket launchers are integrated/welded into the roof...
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (198.3 KiB) Viewed 10663 times
Last edited by DwayneJ on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Bob Davis wrote:Hi Stabi USA

Sweet looking Stabi. I love to see photos of aluminum boats being built. I used to see their dealer in Bellingham on the way to the ramp that ACB uses. Please tell Marty that Bob Davis from Lockeford Ca. says hi. When he was in charge of rec. boats over at ACB we had great experiance buying from him. No pressure, he just wanted to make sure we were getting the boat how we wanted it set up. It was a fun boat buying experiance with no regrets.
I also had a very positive experience and I passed on your comments.

Regards Dwayne
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Must vary model to model. I know some tops are non-alloy. or at least they were for a time. I like the looks of the one in the photos though.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
BeachDweller
Donator '12

Post by BeachDweller »

Stabiusa,

Is the Tom Nelson you reference the same that owns and runs Salmon University? Beautiful boat!!
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

No - This is the Tom I know...
http://www.theoutdoorline.com/Tom-Nelson/11.aspx

Tom "fishing" on his Stabicraft 829...

Regards Dwayne
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

I also have been looking for an alloy boat to get back on the water. My wife and I went out to Mt Vernon to talk with Marty. We saw Tom Nelson’s old boat. We liked it. Now it’s our boat. The only problem is that big postage stamp to get it back here to Florida.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

3f8 wrote:I also have been looking for an alloy boat to get back on the water. My wife and I went out to Mt Vernon to talk with Marty. We saw Tom Nelson’s old boat. We liked it. Now it’s our boat. The only problem is that big postage stamp to get it back here to Florida.
Congratulations!
dirtrich

Post by dirtrich »

Hey guys!! Bet you thought I just dried up and blew away, didn't you?! Not so. First my 25 year old computer pretty much kicked the bucket and it was about a week before I landed this sleek new (non-alloy) beauty I'm "tickling the ivory's" on now. Then my wife said "we need to get the heck out of Dodge NOW because the boys start school in THREE WEEKS!" so off we went on a well deserved vacation (if I do say so myself) , just touching back down at home last night. I think I'm more worn out now than I was before I left. In fact I'm sure of it. So, after a day of trying to catch up on "details" that need my attention, I finally got to sit down this afternoon and spend some quality time with my new toy....but evidently the whole network was down and I couldn't get online! Dang! Thought I'd give it one last shot on my way to bed and voila here I am. That new red Stabi sure looks nice, but now I've got drool all over my new computer screen. Sigh. Just wanted to say hi, I'm bushed and off to bed. Talk to y'all tomorrow.
Dave
dirtrich

Post by dirtrich »

Talked to Marty Smith at Stabicraft today, he's working a boat show in Seattle and says to say hi to Bob Davis. He said he'd mail me some info./specs on their boats, so maybe I'm making some headway after all. I'm thinking I might fly up to Washington in a few weeks and do the Pepsi challenge with the acb's and stabi, just for kicks. :cool:
Bob Davis

Post by Bob Davis »

Yea, Marty called left a message I need to get back to him.

Dave, what is the Pepsi challenge? Thanks Bob
2006 23' Aluminum Chambered Boat Waverunner,twin Suzuki 140s,T8 kicker,Raymarine e120. Favorite places, off the Golden Gate,Tahoe,Pyramid Lake Nevada.
dirtrich

Post by dirtrich »

Bob,
That's a side by side comparison. It's a reference to a Pepsi commercial they used to run 20 or 30 years ago when they were trying to gain market share from Coca Cola (I think it was Coke, perhaps another brand). Tried to contact "Elephant boys" today to inquire about two of the used acb's on their lot but no answer and their voicemail was full, so had to e-mail them. Busy week this week but I'm hoping to find time to continue pursuing this.
Dave
Bob Davis

Post by Bob Davis »

Hey Dave, Yea now I remember the Pepsi challenge. When I went on my test drive in Bellingham I didn't look at the Stabi's even though their dealer was on the way to the ramp that ACB uses. Back then the Stabi's had NON ALLOY cabins which is ok I suppose but I wanted all aluminum. I see that Marty has used his northwest boat building experiance to get the factory to use aluminum cabins. We got lucky on our test run. It was a rare rough day on Puget Sound so we really got to check the boat out. See if you can talk Marty into taking you to the seafood place next to the ramp for dinner. I think it's called Anthony's.
Hope you make it up there. Its a good time in Bellingham. Bob
Bob Davis

Post by Bob Davis »

Here's some stuff for you Stabi guys on this link to ifish.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=187716
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Thanks!
jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

Just returned from several days working in Bellingham. Stayed at the Bellwether Hotel and noticed several Alloy boats on the dock just across the waterway.

Had dinner at Anthony's and checked out the boat launch with 4 ramps. Much nicer than Port Townsend's which only has one ramp.

Jim
Attachments
Bellingham.jpg
Bellingham.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
22ft Lee Shore Swiftsure, Glyde Ryde Seats, Yahama 150 & 8 HT, 110 gallons fuel
C120 Chart Plotter / GPS / Fishfinder / Radar / AIS / Heading Sensor, DSC VHF
NMEA 2000 & Yamaha Command Link Networks, EPIRB

16.5 Hewsecaft Sea Runner, 40 HP Mercury
dirtrich

Post by dirtrich »

Hi guys,
My how time flies! I'm finally getting ready to go look at a few ACB's and am putting together an itinerary which right now looks to include a stop at the ACB shop on the coast, one in central-eastern oregon (2004 23' extreme sport fisherman), and one in Seward Alaska (2006 26' center console). As with everyone, I want it all in one boat....protection from the elements, and as much fishing room for as many people as possible. Anybody know of a 26' extreme sport fisherman model out there that somebody might be considering selling but hasn't gotten around to advertising yet? I'm hoping to have a new (to me) boat in my driveway this time next month, and would like to see as many ACB options as possible. I monitor the Boat trader website, as well as craigslist. Any other places I've missed?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dirtrich,
Have you looked at Stabicraft boats ?

Keep in mind that some of these type of boats may not fish real well with 3 or 4 guys on board due to space taken up by pontoons or chambers but of course the bigger hulls will have more room .

In your neck of the woods I would want good offshore capability , lots of deck space, self bailing, large fuel tank, 7' pilot house, trailerable , good fuel economy, below deck flotation, good kicker motor for sloooow trolling and back up, 1/4" plate. I know there is Albacore way out there , Salmon, Butts, and other yummy goodies.

I don't mean to sound one sided or knock your choice of boat, but , kick but rides on my short list are Cold water 31, Rocksalt 29 to 34, Pacific 26 or 28 .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

Dirtrich, this one might be too small for your needs but fyi
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/b ... 01034.html

or too large
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1657631434.html

or too rich
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1695834842.html

or maybe priced just right :-)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/1692926775.html

ps. I used crazedlist.org to search the entire west coast in one go
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

That last one seems like a good candidate for a house priced right and then upgrade motor add house it would be a lot cheaper than new. My .02

Mike
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I know that series of photos from the Ifish posting is just a center console, but there's alot there not to like. Maybe it's just me....

My is it mentioned so much that it's a Armstronmg bracket? Why don't they just make their own bracket?
The cleats, are they just bolted on?
That exposed/openess of the stern batteries and all is a no-no for me. Plus I like battery weight centered. Not in the stern.

I had found that the armstrong deck plates don't work on the deck....they're made for the armstrong bracket or bulkhead application. Not to be kicked, walked on and such. That boat had them and too many of them! An upgrade would be cast aluminum deck plates.

I'm guessing that boats for a commercial purpose? On that web site?

For the price, I think one can get "more" actual boat. From what I've learned here over the years on AAB.com. But as a fisherman, I may be biased(?) So don't shoot at me just yet. And if it's so rough or the waters so dangerous that I need that kind of design feature to just have some fun out fishing (on a budget....other peoples vary, I know) I'm not all that sure I need to be out there, anyhow.

I saw the Larry Czonka TV show where they're out on a fleet of them. But that's a lodge that the average person can't stay at anyhow. How many did they have? Looked like about 6-8? What's that purchase price. WOW?

Or is the ACB kinda like an over indulgence of design, which has it's place for some, but not needed for all?

Kinda like a Safeboat. Goes like hell, has the foam collar, but......ya know.

Eye appeal is kinda in the beholder.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Check this ride out ....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1931&p=15685#p15685

It's a 28' Stabicraft
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
DwayneJ

Post by DwayneJ »

Thanks Lester...

Stabicraft 829 - Officially 27' but 31' tip to tip. 2 x 150HP using Honda 4 Strokes. 2 x 250L = 500L/137G total. On a flat lake 38MPH, Ocean with wind chop 35MPH/6000RPM top speed. Bump up to 2 x 200HP for more MPH. 2MPG is its sweet spot at around 20MPH giving 250 Mile+ range.

Mine includes a full head and shower cubicle with a diesel furnace for heating and hot water. Nothing better than a hot shower after scuba diving! V-Berth sleeps 2.5 and the dinette package converts into a second bed for 1. My wife, son, and I normally sleep in the V-berth on our "away" trips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty8MsycXyTs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic