Help finding small boat builder suppling discount stores in late 1960s

General boating discussion
Karl V
Your location: Bauxite, AR

Help finding small boat builder suppling discount stores in late 1960s

Post by Karl V »

I have an aluminum flat bottom boat, 12ft long with a 32 in beam that I'm trying to register in Arkansas for use with a small trolling motor.

The problem is the boat was built in the late 1960s and does not have a current style HIN number. I have been able to locate what I think was a manufacturer's serial number (001306) on a braded plate. But I have not been able to locate any other manufacture information. The boat was purchased new by my parents from a discount store outside of Fort Campbell KY.

To register the boat I've been told by Arkansas game and fish I need the manufacture and  production year. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or leads on finding the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information or ideas.

As funds are limited it would be nice to avoid having to buy a new boat just to get it registered.

Karl
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Re: Help finding small boat builder suppling discount stores in late 1960s

Post by kmorin »

Karl,
I'm not about to suggest a method to trace an HIN that isn't still on the hull.  I will note that you may find more info about lost HIN w the boating safety office of the CG in your area?  I tend to doubt that the hull was built by a small builder as it would more likely be someone huge like Monarch that would make a 'non-label' hull series for sale as generic jon boats?

The boating safety office of the CG may have access to the current policy of the CG/Homeland Sec. Agency regulations on how to deal with your situation?  Not sure if they'd take time to help but you might begin w the online site <https://uscgboating.org/content/manufac ... cation.php> and try searching 'likely' or possible company registrations/listings- even the older ones are here in this list.

I guess looking at the locations of the various builders' location State might give some leads, then click on that builder's link and the search will take you to the listing; even the address and time when the co. went out of business.  Might be worth a try?

IF you knew the store, and could find the owners or the family of the owners there may be some remaining records there but I'd say that was a longer shot than the builder's listing of the HIN ID codes on the site above.

Good luck, interesting to learn a boat form the 1960's is still serviceable!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK

kmorin
Karl V

Post by Karl V »

thanks for the suggestions.

The boat essentially only had two owners, my father and I. Both use(d) it lightly resulting in some dings and dents it doesn't leak. it is an ideal small water body boat if registration is not and issue.

Thanks again.
starbright55

Post by starbright55 »

I would just register it as homebuilt and have them assign you an HIN.
Karl V

Post by Karl V »

Thanks for the input, but I tried and not doable. Arkansas follows Coast Guards photo and materials receipt requirements during constructions.

I also attempted to register is as having an "unknown" manufacture and model. That also failed. I even went to the Coast Guard's data base of manufacturers and could not find and "unknown" option.

After my post I just gave up on register the boat and spent $800 for a plastic pontoon boat. I think ending up with a lower quality boat in the process. Another case brainless application of bureaucracy.
IronwoodIsland
Your location: Bowyer Island

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Can you post a photo of your boat? Maybe some of us can recognize the make and model. Google image search might help too if you have a good photo of it.
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic