Mooring buoy access and your boat

General boating discussion
BoatingChris

Mooring buoy access and your boat

Post by BoatingChris »

Hi all,

There are some different ideas out there on how to get to and from land when mooring to a buoy. Sailboats drag a tender behind, but I have no desire to pull a dinghy behind a 21' skiff at 30mph. Or more on a nice day. :)

How do you all do it? Anyone do the infinite-loop with pulleys approach to pull a dinghy from shore to buoy and back? Or leave the dinghy on the buoy? Honestly, the whole business seems like a real boondoggle, but when one doesn't have a dock and one does have a buoy - just gotta find a good way to make it work!

Thanks!

Chris.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Mooring buoy access and your boat

Post by kmorin »

Boating Chris,
most fishermen here leave the skiff/dinghy on the mooring, in the river mouth, and pick up the skiff when they return? The skiff is there for the ride to the beach or dock? No towing unless you want to take it to a remote campsite or something?

"Running line" anchored loops are mainly reserved (here) for locations where there aren't many other boats- like off a private beach or in a bight where no other boats regularly moor or anchor. Reason being others fouling your running lines. But the beaches here are steeper in many places so the running line solution can be very short (50-80') and still keep the main boat floating even with the 20-some foot tides.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
BoatingChris

Post by BoatingChris »

Hey there Kevin - thanks for the guidance! Sounds like I'm not alone in what I'm doing.

Yes, I have a private spot, so maybe I'll look into a running line solution.
ziko41

Post by ziko41 »

You’ve researched a lot of pontoon boat prices and you can’t help but balk. It seems like even if you’re looking at used boats, they’re just so much money! You’d rather spend the time and make your own DIY Pontoon Boats. How do you even go about doing this?
To make your own DIY pontoon boats, you can either buy a kit that comes with most of the materials or procure these materials yourself. Then it’s just a matter of following instructions and building your boat!
In this in-depth guide, we will tell you everything you need to know about making your own custom pontoon boat. From detailed steps to what kind of finished product you can expect, you’re not going to want to miss it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic