Cleaning up this hull

General boating discussion
capesteve

Cleaning up this hull

Post by capesteve »

My boat was beaten up over the winter by loose tarp and was scuffed up as you can see. Looks better after washing down. I am considering refinishing above the chine... boat has the original nyalic coat on it from Pacific. I like the look of the one3powerboat which I believe is a wax finish. So anyway does anyone have experience sanding or buffing off nyalic and waxing to a glossy finish? or is that a bad idea. I want to avoid acid/toxic materials, if too much of a pain in the but I will leave it as is
Attachments
rq1yPL+wTjqfIaRRb3e11A.jpg
rq1yPL+wTjqfIaRRb3e11A.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 8243 times
clambo
Donator '22

Re: Cleaning up this hull

Post by clambo »

had the same thing on my hull. I used bartenders helper and a scothbrite pad. cleaned it nicely. Would be better if I had used a power tool :thumbsup:
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

So clambo did you just spot clean, or strip and polish the hull? any before and or after pictures? thanks!
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

I just cleaned the spots :thumbsup:
joshboats

Post by joshboats »

I have a similar issue - I am trying to get rid of streaks and bubbles that formed when applying Nyalic.

Has anyone ever sanded Nyalic? I want to make it smooth and then possibly add another layer on top to ensure a good seal.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Probably best to talk to the manufacturer, I suspect it might respond to a chemical strip, perhaps a liberal application of lacquer thinner would soften it enough to wipe off or remove with a plastic scraper . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
capesteve1

Post by capesteve1 »

The boat pictured above is mine. I had a bunch work done on the boat by Brendan at One3powerboats, he is based in CT and does phenomenal work... you can see some of his craftsmanship posted elsewhere on this forum. His boats have a mirror like finish which he gets from sanding, pretty sure with rotary sander, with progressively finer grits. Anyway he sanded my pacific in some places and the nyalic came right off no problem.. No wax or any other coating. Can be refreshed as needed by fine sanding/buffing any time. At some point may have him refinish my whole hull which would make it look like it never hit the water. I will try to post some pictures of the work done
joshboats

Post by joshboats »

Thank you.

I checked with the manufacturer and they said the same thing - I asked here because I like to get as much input as possible.

Very helpful info capesteve1 - I am hoping to do the exact same thing.

However furthermore I will eventually be wrapping vinyl atop. So I have been simultaneously working in two worlds: vinyl and aluminum.

My background is vinyl - my eyes were wide opened to the vast complexity of aluminum with this project. Unbelievable. This work take surgical precision. Especially with considering elements like bi-metal reaction, and electrolysis etc.
capesteve1

Post by capesteve1 »

To be honest I have not been too impressed with the nyalic type finish. It is fairly durable but over time is prone to scuffing if you tie up to anything even with fenders. And once scuffed it starts to look bad it is not like you can buff it out, you need to refinish... seems easier to go with the polished bare metal IMO..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic