Edge Marine OS Boats

General boating discussion
KDJ

Edge Marine OS Boats

Post by KDJ »

I am a first time forum user and I’m looking for some information. Im not even sure if Im posting this in the right spot, I guess time will tell. I am thinking of upgrading my older Duckworth Pacific Navigator to a new Edge Marine OS. I am curious if there are any Edge OS owners who could let me know how they like their boat? How does the boat ride in rougher water? What changes would you make if you could? Over all would you purchase the boat again? Is the boat easy to trailer? I guess I’m looking for some testimonials good or bad from an owner not a salesman.

Sorry for all the questions, I though this maybe the best place to get answers from real boat owners who don’t have a financial gain to my questions.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Edge Marine OS Boats

Post by Chaps »

One member here has an edge, check this post
http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic ... ine#p48430
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for the link.
BoatBucks

Post by BoatBucks »

Hi KDJ,

Let me know if you have other questions my thread above doesn't answer. Love the boat. Best riding AL boat I've had or been in to date.

Full disclosure - I "dabble" in the Aluminum boat industry and have for 10 years. I work the Portland shows and manage the website/social media side of a manufacturer of AL boats which is not Edge Marine. It's not my real job tho. Strange I know, kinda like working at a GM dealership but driving Fords. I'm an AL boat junkie and not afraid to try different things out.
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

BoatBucks,

Thank you for the reply, this would be my second AL boat and I'm a little nervous. My Brother switched from a Duck to North River and is very happy. However, I really like the look and design of the Edge and since I don't live close to Oregon I cant test drive it without flying up. Plus, its always good to have a fun sibling rivalry with your older brother ( he's a dodge guy and I run with Chevy). Any information you want to share on your boat would be very helpful. Thank you again for the reply.
BoatBucks

Post by BoatBucks »

I looked at similar North Rivers before I bought this and really liked the specs of the Edge a lot better. At the time the price was better too. The Edge is a bigger boat with an 8' bottom and a 9.5' beam. The width may or may not be an issue for you. I assume you're in Cali? While I should have a permit to tow, I just go fishing. The trailer is 9'4" wide and it's noticeable on narrow roads. The upside is the boat sits low and is easy to drive on and off the trailer. The looks are not for everyone but I like it. Sexy is what a few of us call it. It fishes nice whether anchored or trolling. Very stable and lots of room. Storage under the bow is gi-normous.

My understanding is Edge has changed a few things based on customer feedback so a few of the small things I could complain about an no longer there. Trailer can be had at 8'6" wide (not an issue for me), the battery area is bigger in the transom, the dash is more square for bigger electronics, and they are doing more hard tops if that's important. They'll work with you on custom stuff too.

I don't get to use it as much as I'd like but such is life...
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

I really appreciate your time and knowledge, thank you. I think all of us are way to short on time. I'm from Utah.
FinsNFeathers

Post by FinsNFeathers »

I forgot to mention that it centers itself on the trailer. Very easy to launch and remove.
Rendog

Post by Rendog »

KDJ,

I have a 22 foot edge that I bought new in 2014. You'll notice many have the doors on the rear transom and they now offer a 8ft 6in trailer. I'm gonna give myself credit but really it should be Ruben who builds the boats, I was the first to push him to offer both options. :-) to me the door is a must have and even though the boat is wider than 8ft 6in I still wanted the trailer to meet that requirement. It tows great even with the narrow stance.

I also had Ruben increase the height of the bench seats for both comfort and storage. I also had the storage trays on the bench seats removed and the seat extended which also helped the seats double as a bench to bed. It would have been nice if they could have made the setbacks removable so they could complete the bed instead of a having to store the pieces.

I had a 100 gallon tank added and wouldn't have it any other way. I also wanted the achor storage box size increased but there was a little mix up with that.

I run a yamaha f200xb and if I could have afforded it I would have gone with the 4.2l 250 but motor and controls were just too much. However the boat performs very well with the 200 and fuel milage is great. I can get up to 4.5 mpg with full fuel and gear. It will top out at 44 mph gps when light, maybe 1/2 fuel and usually 41. When loaded the boat does not have any problems getting on step and cruising. The most I had in the boat was about 1300 lbs of plus full fuel. The 9.9 yamaha kicker does a good job, but rattles a little more than I like.

I only use the boat on the lakes but I have been in as high as 5 foot chop just trolling and the boat can the the high frequency waves without a problem from all directions (it's been 2 yeas so i cant sat for certain if it got hit from the back.). I've cruised through 3 to 4 foot chop as well and it was smooth enough that at 24 mph my boy fell asleep in the chair. No real banging normally associated with aluminum boats, maybe the odd one.

The storage in the nose area is so unbelievablely handy. Just that alone is enough of a feature to have swayed me from other brands.

The boats front window frame is a little low and often in my sight lines. It's a hassel especially when the lake is busy.

The rag top is great and has many configurations but the zippers can leak water and due to their locations it of course drips right on you.

At the docks or really anywhere you go the boat grabs people's attention so be prepared to talk to them!

I would buy the boat again in a heart beat, I continue to go to the boat shows to compare, but really there is no overall comparison. Some of the other manufacturers have some really nice features too that I wish I had, like cup holders at the rear corners like thunder jet, or maybe a 1/2 hard top that keeps the sex appeal of the boat. I did see that they now have a hard top and lost all the sex appeal of the rag top. Very square. I know to some that won't matter but it does to me.

The boat suits my family of 4 plus a 100 lb dog plus friends just right. For us I wouldnt go any bigger but I'm glad I didn't go with the 21 foot that I believe is no longer available.

If you guys have any questions about it please ask. Thanks for reading. (I typed this on my phone and didn't bother proof reading so I apologize).

John
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Rendog- Thank you for your all the information, it has been very helpful, would you mind sharing a photo of your boat.
Rendog

Post by Rendog »

I'm trying to figure out how to attach an pic. I have the pic already downloaded to the site but I can't figure out how to attach it to this post..... Maybe tomorrow :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic