Boat mod help?

Mods and custom builds
RogueFanatic

Boat mod help?

Post by RogueFanatic »

The time has come for the Salmon Master (19' JetCraft) to become a more practical fishing vessel. I have decided to look into removing the carpet from the sides (gets and stays wet, weird green things grow on it) and getting them sprayed with zolatone or other coating. And I remade floorboards (marine ply) and painted them with flexible, non-skid marine paint 3 years ago but I was considering getting them replaced with diamond plate and then coated with rino-liner or similar product. Pros/ cons? How do you remove the carpet adhesive? Vendors you like/ dislike? Issues I haven't considered? The boat sits on a trailer and fishes nearly exclusively in the salty water of Puget Sound.
Last edited by RogueFanatic on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Boat mod help?

Post by Chaps »

carpet adhesive can be tough to get off, xylene might move it if you can keep it wet with it for a few hours
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

RogueFanatic, I've used Chap's suggestion before - but with acetone. I pulled the carpet off, left with all sorts of glue + " hide and hair". I taped, with duct tape strips, cotton Tshirt type rags over the areas, then used visqueen to cover those and at the top edge poured a few cap fulls of acetone along the rags. This wetted the rags and did somewhat retard the acetone evaporation but I had to wet them several times in most cases. Then, after 10-20 minutes I pulled the rags and began with wood spatula- to scrape off the softened glue and carpet residue.

not the most enjoyable boat building task- but I couldn't figure out any other method at the time so i used it- rating- fumed up the shop but did soften that particular glue. I ended up going back to some spots that didn't wet and repeating- time consuming and had to wear air purifying respirator to even walk in the shop to open the doors! I was using the charcoal cartridges with the North half face APR, and safety glasses to avoid splash- still stung the eyes indoors and was probably dangerous but we did not have an open flame heater inside that shop to consider.

One product that I've used recently to lift glue(s) is called "Goo Gone" in a very small bottle from the home trainstation store. It's lifted three or four different glues and may be worth a spot sample to see if it could service without the acetone/xylene or other industrial solvents?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
RogueFanatic

Post by RogueFanatic »

Thanks fellas. I was hoping there would be some kind of solvent I could use since I figured scraping alone was going to be a waste of time. I will look up Goo Gone and report back.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2245 ... 670968.pdf

It is expensive in the aerosol version though..

This is what I use at work. It works better than the Goo Gone stuff. Doesn't seem to have as many nasty side affects as solvents.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

On your floorboard deal, aluminum is always a better choice than painted plywood for so many reasons. New decks can be slippery for a while but once they oxidize they get very grippy. Giving the panels an acid wash (or a light sandblast) before they are installed will also help with the slip. Most any coating you put over aluminum will eventually come loose unless the prep is perfect so if you go bedliner be sure it is done right.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Rogue, I'd recommend you rethink the diamond/embossed plate idea. In my experience, it is not a good decking material choice. A better choice would be flat plate and even better might be to weld in and air test the deck so you'd have a self bailing deck? Not the least expensive modification, admittedly, but one that does move the entire boat's value up?

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic