aluminum suppliers?

Mods and custom builds
bigfun

aluminum suppliers?

Post by bigfun »

Hello, I'm going to build a 17' foot boat and am having difficulties finding a supplier that will sell me 6' x 18' sheet.
12' is the longest. For those of you in the U.S.A. (mi.) Who do you order from?
Adam

Re: aluminum suppliers?

Post by Adam »

I ran into the same problem here in Michigan. I found one guy that could supply it. I think he was getting it cut off a coil from one of the larger steel suppliers. Here is his info:
Kevin Cartwright
248-535-4465
ORION METAL PRODUCTS INC
PO box 654
Lake Orion, MI 48361

I will warn you that the price he quoted was twice as much and stitching 12' lengths together. But if money doesn't matter he is the only guy I could find to supply in 28' lengths. I ended up buying from Alro.
bigfun

Post by bigfun »

Thanks.
Another builder has been getting his sheet from ryerson, but I'm getting no help from the sales rep. I'm dealing with.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Bigfun, Adam,
I think that regional suppliers of marine grade alloys must differ quite a bit in their markets' needs? So what's available on a regular basis in one location does not meet the same kind of stocking standards found in other locations?

In the entire Pacific Northwest, 50 series alloy sheets from 0.080" to 1/4" are regularly available in 4', 5' and 6' widths in both 12' and 20' lengths, these would be considered standard- and that's true on the South coast of Alaska too- in my experience. I'm not saying every size, or alloy combination would be in stock- say a 0.100" thick piece of 5086 5'x20' - (not common material) at the first phone call- what I was saying is that Puget Sound based supply chains recognize the three widths, and two lengths in the 5052 and 5086 alloy combinations as - standard marine sheets.

If a mill quantity of one of these items had not been run for a full year, due to demand, and what was left was already out to distribution; then you'd be told that combination was "not available" - until another mill run resupplied the entire system.

My point is the further the client is from the rolling mill the more likely their vendors are to tell them a given size, alloy and thickness are not available- just due to the number of 'upstream' local metal distribution vendors who may have had the opportunity to buy before the more remote suppliers. Also, many counter people or inside sales people are not really widely experienced beyond what the major clients bring to that business. So you can reach someone on the phone with little or no marine alloy experience- and have to rely on them.

While I understand cross country trucking, unless undertaken in full trailer wt.s is expensive; I'd say you could call a Puget Sound supplier like Alaska Copper and Brass, or Ryerson Seattle and find the source of supply for the materials you need, then ask if you local supplier has access to the PNW supplier closer to the mill? I'm not suggesting this process will be inexpensive but it may allow you to find material not readily available in your neck of the woods?

Last point. Cut sheets mean someone is taking the off-cut or remnant. I'd say it was economically unwise to expect the metal vendor to have to buy a 20' sheet and sell an 18' and not charge you for both the extra 2 feet of metal and the cut and handling too? I'd say it was better/cost effective to just order the (standard size) 20'er and keep the rem for parts?

Anything over 20' is cut from coil sheet stock, and has the cut cost; one-off many times so a premium for the entire sheet- ANd the handling costs of longer crating, (support to ship) reserved trailer space (adder) sometimes two forks to unload (scheduled loading costs again) and overall it does make the hull seam appear to be worth considering.

If you're in the Puget Sound, have equipment to haul your own sheets to the boat yard, handling equipment ready to move longer re-rolled coil stock, and big enough boats to need longer than 20's stock regularly- the saved welds may be worth the effort? Otherwise, I'd say it was probably worth looking at using 12' stock if it was available in widths that allowed hull panels merely with one or two butt joints?

Not the same perspective- certainly- given the difference in geography.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
bigfun

Post by bigfun »

Kmorin, I'm finding out what you say is spot on. Was not aware of the 20' standard, 18' or 20' wouldn't matter to me. No butt welds for me.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

bigfun, hull seams are hull seams, butt welds in the bottom or topsides are not all that rare or difficult, they do take planning. Some weld these seams before the panels are on the hull others after- I've done both, and with some prep they're just seams with their own requirements- not that hard to do.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

on the eastcoast, Yarde Metals stocks 8 x24 in 5086, usually has 3/16 and 1/4.

welderbob
Repairguy

Post by Repairguy »

They are not in Michigan but ADI in Fort Lauderdale was helpfull to me supplying me all my 5086 1/4" plates 8ft. x 20Ft
Anything is possible. People that say No have not tried hard enough. :smitty:
Ash

Post by Ash »

I live in Ky. Is there any supplyers near me?
bigfun

Post by bigfun »

Update. Was able to get an order via ryerson steel. Not exactly what I wanted but will work. Thanks for your replys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic