26' Seawolf repower/refinish

Get help and share Ideas
hamachitoro

26' Seawolf repower/refinish

Post by hamachitoro »

nHello alloy dudes. My name is gabe, was born n raised in the last frontier, and I f!@#((% love alloy boats. I have a problem really, it's shiny, malleable, goes ting when you flick it…..well you get the point. My first alloys were older boice jets we used to run very heavy whitewater (over class III). There was only a few of us doing that up here in AK, then the trend moved to very skinny water. At some point, I moved over from plastic to alloy for saltwater craft as well mostly because of alloys safety margin over plastic in an impact with an object. Like kmorin I live (and grew up in rural south-central), in waters sometimes littered with logs and the like and had some close calls in plastic. I picked up a 26' seawolf in thornebay on prince of wales or as we say up here POW. Boat was very, very neglected, having nasty barnacle growth and oxidation, but the metal was sound and in good shape. So I haggled with this guy for 18 months, yes thats right a year and a half, until I got him down to 35,000. The boat included, radar (which I kept), GPS (which i removed), Wallace (which works perfect-kept), fresh cold/hot water-35 gal, a 9.9 merc. kicker (runs good), 2 scotty's electric downriggers, nice new icom marine radio, blue seas panels and switches, a very nice roof rack, marine head w/sit shower-allthe normal seawoff stuff you guys know about. What sold me on this boat was jrodger build thread, so thx to jrodgers (who I recently meet, and one of your employees "johnny" is a good friend of mine by the way). I really liked the way stennar bent his transverse frames on a brake, and how the transom is broke over to the side and welded on the side. Full schedule 80 all the way around the perimeter of the gunnel like edwings. Also I wanted a shallower dead rise astern, for efficiency, and I like to run slow in nasty wx, with shallower angles you can run slower on step, i.e. c-dory. This seawolf has no lifting strakes and a small reverse chine-old school, relies on a different feature to help with lift. Although the hull is a V hull it is also has a slight radius-more so than any other small boat of this type I have seen. The transverse frames have slight reverse camber on their bottom sides generating a "roundish" bottom moving from the keel to the chine. Having experience with radius bottom jet boats (superior handling in situations you WANT the the hull to break lose easily, i.e. non-broachy), I knew of their handling characteristics and low speed planning ability. So I made up my mind, waited the guy out, the boat looked not so good, I think people were discouraged. We made a deal, I put the boat on the ferry to haines and drove down to haul her up the AK highway.
Attachments
happy camper gets metal floaty thingy
happy camper gets metal floaty thingy
salmonater

Re: 26' Seawolf repower/refinish

Post by salmonater »

Any progress on your boat?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic