Kevin's Dead Trees Projects

Get help and share Ideas
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Kevin's Dead Trees Projects

Post by kmorin »

Welder and I were talking about trees and logs and he asked what I wanted with some large diameter, hardwood, saw logs?

I like to make a form of sculpture called pierced relief where there is no back to the panel; the wall forms the background. The idea is to shape the contents so the eye more or less 'tells' the mind the piece is thicker than it really is, and in my case, I like to try to catch (TRY tooo :banghead: ) motion of leave the piece with a sense of motion for the viewer.

Here is a piece of common maple from Maryland that is 8' tall, 5'6" widest point and 4" thick. The whale family was cut by leaving wood in place there is nothing added.

my arm and in my hand is a 6' ruler with the color correction card for the photographer, this one gives some idea of scale.

The littlest calf in detail, shows the side to tail intersection is all one piece and some good grain detail, this piece has all four or five types of maple grain figures in one piece of wood. (nice find)

This image shows the cow's tail at the frame, and the connection to the calf so both are firmly attached into the piece. What I'd like to have happen is for people's eye to 'see' these as deeper and more flowing than is really the case. Here you can see this all done in 4" thickness.

One of the hard parts of this form of sculpture is to have this side view look 'believable' because the viewer is getting around toward the back, and these are like paintings kind of... they're only meant to be viewed from the front!

This of the middle sized calf, lower right side of the panel, shows the spalted grain, some ribboning, a few insect holes... it is a well figured piece of wood. This calf supports the cow's head with the right fluke of his tail, the other side holds him and the cow up and he's anchored by his left fluke to the side.

It does take some tool making to get into the narrow places and sand to 300-400 grit after the rough cuts.

I was fortunate enough to buy some redwood from N. CA from a sawyer that hand logs with horses and bids on the cull trees from the US Forrest Service. This bird is in a 7'3" long by 38" wide piece of live edge (bark on) redwood that is 4" thick. We propped a piece of 5'x5'x3/4" Baltic Birch Ply behind it to block off the shop mess and make the bird clearer.

Moving off to one side you can see the thickness of the slab and the fact the bird is 'flattened' into the 4" depth, hopefully the front view gives the impression of a little more flight?

Detail of the head showing the closeness of the growth rings- not an ancient tree but more than a few hundred rings from the center out.

Another almost side view, to give more idea of how the animal was foreshortened and still kept inside the original slab's limits.

So, Welder, you wanted to know what I like to do with big slabs? I like to look "Through the Log" and see what's there to find? I am what is called a stylized carver or sculptor, I don't put in every feather because I'm after the movement really ( not that I'm getting it all that well yet). I want to show forms of bodies more than I want to provide an anatomically correct animal, so I fiddle with the proportions to make the curves and lines more pleasing than they may be in real life.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Kevin's Dead Trees Projects

Post by Chaps »

Astonishing work Kevin, words don't do justice
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

This is not fair for the rest of us mortals... :thumbsup:

Boat Builder Extraordinaire AND Wood Sculptor

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G work Sir

Thank You for sharing
:beer:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Very good Work Sir. The eye of a Sculptor and Builder in one. :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

WOW Kevin, That is very nice work. :highfive:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Now I know why the Monument you built for the young mans marker had so much detail.
Kevin, you are an artist.

And I will keep an eye out for unique lumber. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Thanks, gentlemen, for the kind words. One of these days I'll get back in the shop and cut more, Lord willing.

If a 4' or larger diameter tree is going to be disposed of in your area, please don't hesitate to let me know, I'm not looking for softwood (well redwood and cedar are soft and I'd sure discuss those logs) but would make an offer depending on the log size, species and don't want it more than sent as dunnage, not cut up.

k.morin@kmmail.net, if there's an old 5' diameter hardwood tree in your backyard that 'has to go' ?

Kevin
kmorin
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'll take a wild guess.........a winter project?

awesome
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic