outdoor kitchen table/Fish cleaning station

Get help and share Ideas
Napa Mike

outdoor kitchen table/Fish cleaning station

Post by Napa Mike »

Here is my latest project. I got tired of cleaning fish bent over the old picnic table. A builder/carpenter buddy offered me a sheet of Corian 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. Then I went to Habitat for Humanity and got a used sink for $20.

The frame is made of 2 by 4's and 2 by 3's and i set a piece of plywood over the top to match the height of the sink top. The table is set about 41 inches tall, so you don't need to hunch over. I ripped down enough of the corian to put a 3/4 inch wide drip rail around the edge--everything drains through the sink and no wet feet! I also sloped the top about 3/4 of an inch to make sure everything drained into the sink. I wrapped the sides in 1/2 inch thick white plastic with fake grain on the outside. It should hold up for a long time and never need paint. Finally, as the weight was adding up, I put a 5/8 inch axle and pair of hand-truck tires on the back legs. a hinged wheel barrow handle tucks away when not needed, and makes it easy to wheel around.

I fished Possession on 9 26 and we got 4 coho to test out the table. It works great, and the sink strainers pick up all the nasty little bits!

Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
top with drip rail.JPG
top with drip rail.JPG (72.67 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
sink cutout.JPG
sink cutout.JPG (77.99 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
handle-stored.JPG
handle-stored.JPG (103.02 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
handle in use.JPG
handle in use.JPG (114.49 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
first use on 09 26 13.JPG
first use on 09 26 13.JPG (108.97 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
framing, wheels and sink.JPG
framing, wheels and sink.JPG (128.68 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Re: outdoor kitchen table/Fish cleaning station

Post by Sabs28 »

That is Very Nice :thumbsup: So lets see how good it works :popcorn:
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

it worked great last week. I'm fishing this friday and will try and get a bloody action shot :-)
Thanks,
Mike
onwhiskeycreek

Post by onwhiskeycreek »

Sweet table cleaning table........... We are getting ready to rebuild our cleaning station and I really like like your under hung sink and rim. Do you use a cutting board to raise the height of fish to skin them? (we skin our halibut, bottom fish and the salmon headed for the caner)I like the sink set across the end.

Thanks for sharing
Gary
28 Alumaweld, 26 Olympic, 23 McGregor Venture sailboat, 5 Kayaks, 2 canoes, white water raft and cat, beach skiff and a rib
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

thanks for your comments Gary. I have not skinned any fish yet, but that would be one drawback of the drip rail. The surface is big enough that I could probably skin the fish in the middle of the table. Otherwise, your cutting board suggestion would be a good one. I think the drip rail is still worth it to avoid getting wet feet!

Cheers,
Mike
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That is a neat design. I've been looking around for a stainless restaurant sink/countertop to do the same type of thing but the sinks are always in the middle. The corian is nice as I don't think it will dull knives too quickly. Yeah a poly cutting board that stayed centered in the middle of that table would make skinning easy.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

GOOD NIGHT.......that's sweet :!:
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

we use our table for lots of stuff. you can get plastic grating (sold as light diffusers for large fluorescent fixtures) at the hardware store to use for air drying brined fish before smoking!
Attachments
drying rack.JPG
drying rack.JPG (102.96 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
fish drying.JPG
fish drying.JPG (124.81 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
our friend Ralph from the Makah Tribe showed us this neat trick for making a fillet handle!
our friend Ralph from the Makah Tribe showed us this neat trick for making a fillet handle!
puka method.JPG (149.09 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

You need to keep Ralph around, he looks like the Man that knows what he is doing and like what you are doing.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Lucky you for getting a sheet of Corian, even if it was a partial sheet. Has anyone found where to get Corian or solid surface material like Corian?
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
onwhiskeycreek

Post by onwhiskeycreek »

I think that the raised lip to help keep the gurry off the floor would sure simplify clean up. A cutting board would still allow the gurry to drain and keep a low knife angle for skinning. A good job on design. If anybody has a line on cheap (reasonable) solid surface material and would like to share the source. We are headed down to America to pick up supplies (Puget Sound) next week and get back before winter sets in.

Gary
28 Alumaweld, 26 Olympic, 23 McGregor Venture sailboat, 5 Kayaks, 2 canoes, white water raft and cat, beach skiff and a rib
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Gary:

I asked to buy solid surface material at the big box places, and they all said it could only be purchased by certified manufacturers/installers. I would check for remnants from kitchen remodel/countertop places. I did see a few businesses on the web that did mail order of solid surface remnants or even full sheets. another alternative would be to do the entire top in cutting board material--hdpe plastic. I was lucky to get my Corian from my buddy Kirk Lord, of Lord's Carpentry in Poulsbo, WA. Kirk is a great guy if anyone in the area needs a contractor/carpenter. He builds custom doors, and cabinets and other neat stuff, in addition to general contractor stuff.
Good luck,
Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic