Need help with battery spill

Get help and share Ideas
Roba22

Need help with battery spill

Post by Roba22 »

I am not sure how or what happened but I just noticed it. First I have a 1996 Bass Tracker Pro-17. Took the boat out three weeks ago for a night trip and all is well, except upon launching I noticed that my piug was not pushed in all the way so it did get some water inside. So at the end of the trip there was still a little water left because as you know not all can come out. Anyways Come home put it up and plug in the onboard charger like every time before. I did not notice anything different and the batteries where still upright and caps on. Then after a week of work and a week of vacation I do not see the boat again till last night. I notice the funny looking puddle under the back of the boat. look under and I see two white spots. One about 6" long and the other about the size of a button.

So I freak and check inside and I see the same thing all over the inside around the battery and bottom near the drain plug. It was clear that a battery leaked or bubbled over or something and mixed with the water left inside. I just do not know what or how it did yet. Anyhow I took Coke (had it handy) and poured 4 cans into it. let is set while I went and bought two boxes of baking soda and then used that too. Washed it all off real good. While cleaning the bottom outside with a rag and brush I did not see any real holes. It did VERY slowly leak coke out in one area about the size of a dime and it looks to have about 3-4 tinny holes there. Its clear it leaked out so I know I have holes but not like what you would think. The other small spot never showed any leaks once it was cleaned. Filled it with clean water and checked. I did not poke hard in the area with a awl or anything but I did press to see if I could feel it move of feel soft. It did not. So now my question is how to fix? What should I do? I can not gain access to the inside area (covered with a shelf that holds the battery box and fuel tank) but I can feel some foam when I try and reach under. I have been told I have a couple options. 1.) Grind away all areas and have re welded. 2. Clean good and use JB weld? Or some 5200 epoxy. 3.) clean real good and get some of that vinyl that is used on boats. 4.) apparently there is some stuff that acts like a solder but work on Aluim.

I just want to do a quick fix so I can use the boat for a couple months. Then come November I will park it in the garage and pull as much as I can out and do a big fix. anyone been through this?
welder
Site Admin

Re: Need help with battery spill

Post by welder »

A good repair shop can do the work from the bottom side.
Do you not have your batts in battery boxes?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Roba22

Re: Need help with battery spill

Post by Roba22 »

Both batteries were in plastic boxes, but when I took them out each box has holes in the bottom. not sure why you would want/need holes in them but they do. So I am also looking to replace them with better boxes. any suggestions?

As for a local shop I have had a hard time finding someone who wants to do this. Most of the welders I have called are to busy right now or can not weld aluminum. I live in a rather small town type area and most welders are just farmers who do it on the side.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic