Some recent projects

Get help and share Ideas
Sculpin

Some recent projects

Post by Sculpin »

I have been a busy boy with my gal lately. I went to the Harbour Chandler May sale and blew quite a few bucks there like the rest of the folks lol.

I picked up a second VHF radio of the Standard Horizon likes. It's the Explorer 1600 model that is only 3.5" deep for installation purposes. I chose this model due to my new windshield wiper installation this winter. I have always wanted two separate VHF radios for monitoring, back up, etc. The unit was a refurbished one that was on sale for 104 bucks so WTH I says. I then bought a Shakespear antennae, two good ends, and some bulk cable.

Got the unit mounted.

I also picked up a new Rule 2000 pump for my cabin area. My fuel tank area is it's own sealed compartment under deck and there is a second unused compartment aft of that with a Freeman hatch. The unused compartment which is the furthest aft has a Rule 2000 pump in it already with a automatic switch.

I was uncomfortable with the cabin being such a big area without a pump, so I decided to make it happen.

The discharge fitting will be right under the gunnel here.......

I bought this Rigid Industries LED power lamp last year and never mounted it yet. I am getting around to it now. This will be nice for those late night docking encounters.

I'm going to mount it just under the radar dome.

I'll post up the finished products shortly.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: Some recent projects

Post by Sculpin »

Well I have been organizing the shed and recently went to HD for some cleaning supplies. They had this Rigid shop vac on sale with all the accessories and 21' of hose with a wall mount for 55 bucks!!! It is a 5.0 hp vacuum to boot! I got it mounted, tried it out, and the thing ROCKS.

The best thing is I can reach the on/off switch without getting out of the boat.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

The VHF I bought was a refurbished unit and was informed by a member that bought the same unit of some problems he had with the installation of his unit. I heeded his advice and the install went well.

Monitoring 16 and 88a at the same time.

The bilge pump is all installed and wired up. This big bad boy should pump out the water if I ever take a wave through a window etc.

Still lot's going on to maintain this gal. It never ends.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I got the second antenna mounted.

Man is it hard to get the two parallel etc. I have to work on that for sure. They will look like a twisted sister right now! I need to tweek the mounts etc. to get them looking even.

The deck has been taken over by tackle...................

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well we are almost ready to go fishing (thank goodness lol). The foredeck light is sure bright.

I cleaned up the switch panel as well with some new labels. The wipers aren't the bilge pump anymore lol! The new deck light is right above the new wiper switches. I have everything labelled properly now.

I zapped strapped everything down nice and tidy.

Continued......
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

This early spring we installed new wipers. They replaced the crappy old AFI ones. The new ones kick azz and are pantograph to boot.

The new motors.

The new arms and blades.

New fire extinquisher.

I finally got around to putting in the CO2 sensor as well after a year of running the furnace without one (my bad again).

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

On to more new stuff. I have quite a few thousand dollars worth of reels and rod's that are used at any given time depending on the fishing situation. I thought it would be good to install a fresh water wash down system to hose off the rod's and reels on the way in. This will greatly extend the life of these products no doubt.

I found a Plastimo 13.2 gallon flexible water tank.

The unit itself is 28" x 28" square and I don't know how thick yet until I fill her up.

I went this route because my under deck space is quite limited and I have to go through a welded in Freeman hatch.

I will build a tray for it to sit in on top of the stringers under the deck.

I could not have placed a rigid tank of this size under there due to the hatch opening.

I just have to get some plumbing fittings and another wash down pump etc. and get at it. I hope to have it all installed and operational by tomorrow afternoon. The whole boat is ready to fish by Sunday morning hopefully. I will be going out front here in Nanaimo and giving her my best.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well it's Friday and I had to work late so I didn't make it out fishing. Thought I would stay around and whipped this up. Anyone that has fished on my boat will tell you about things falling off the seats lol. No more battery case lids full of stuff sitting on the seats.

This will be a nice addition for sure. A place for some tackle and a couple of spaces to stuff jackets, camera bags, and what have you.

Knives and pliers have a nice vertical place to stay.

I used to keep all of this kind of stuff in a battery case lid on the seat and I don't know how many times it has fallen on the floor. No more me says!

More stuff to come.............
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Changed all the oils tonight as well. My buddy is an Amsoil agent so I get 20% off the internet price. Nice me thinks. Supposed to be good stuff and the hot chicks at the show's don't hurt either lol. Works out cheaper than the Honda stuff and my engine is way past warranty anyways lol.

I didn't get the fresh water wash down system in place the other weekend. I am still working on it. I thought I would go full out (not like me at all lol). I am going to have the fill hose right at the gunnel like it should be. I can go through the 13 gallons probably every trip so I need an easy fill spot.

Hole saw kick back bite to the hand. Gotta expect that once in a while lol.

You can get the idea here but the hose will run under the deck next to the side wall. I just have to do the deed and drill that last hole through my deck ( damn I hate doing it lol). I will weld in a piece of pipe that will be a 90 degree elbow under the deck. The hose will clamp onto this.

More to come.........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I'm so close to being done.......I can taste it lol.

This has been an interesting one for sure.

Got the filler for the fresh water wash down tank all finished up.

The tray to hold the flexible water tank in place.

A little twisted in the back because I'm not mighty mouse and I don't want to crawl in there to try to drill and tap holes lol. The weight of the water will hold it down no problem.

The flexible water tank in place and all hooked up.

You can see some holes in the side of the tray in this shot. Those are for some bungees to keep here there.

On to the wiring in the new pump etc. Can't wait to fill her up and try it out!!!

More to come........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Sculpin wrote: They had this Rigid shop vac on sale with all the accessories and 21' of hose with a wall mount for 55 bucks!!! It is a 5.0 hp vacuum to boot! I got it mounted, tried it out, and the thing ROCKS.
So in other words, The vacum really "Sucks".. (Pun intended)

Very Nice work John :thumbsup: & nice to see you back on the forum :clap:

And Fishing Pictures??? :popcorn:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

All done!!! Lets go fishing.

Here is a shot of the tank with 10 gal's of water in it. No leaks!. I wish I made the tray about 1.5" narrower all around. I wasn't thinking about the footprint shrinking when it grows in height. Oh well a winter project. I don't think it will move much and if it does their is no way it can jump out of the tray.

The pumps all wired and plumbed.

I put two new plastic bulkhead hose bib valves in with a male quick disconnect on each. I put the female on the hose. This makes it easier to switch back and forth. The two new Blue Sea weatherdeck switches are up under the gunnel away from the elements.

I may make up a hose holder but for now this will do.

All gassed up and iced down ready to hit the water right after work!!! Yeeee Hawww .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Looking very good, John. Here is an idea for holding a wash down hose. I made mine out of 4" diameter PVC pipe, although it could be made out of aluminum too. Simple to make. I purchased the PVC and then cut most of one side off (maybe 3/5ths of the pie, looking at the pipe from the end), leaving enough to "grab" the hose and hold it in place. Then I bolted it underneath the shelf on the gunnel, making for a clean installation.

Here they are...
Attachments
washdownhose1.jpg
washdownhose1.jpg (164.55 KiB) Viewed 15009 times
washdownhose2.jpg
washdownhose2.jpg (113.11 KiB) Viewed 15009 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Email me the picture and I'll post it for you.
lesrob60@aol.com
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

You have been busy, John. Nice work! How is the snuggler heater working out?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:You have been busy, John. Nice work! How is the snuggler heater working out?
Thanks Pete. She's still running like a clock. I've gone through 12 gallons of diesel through her with out a hick up :clap: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Sculpin wrote:
spoiled one wrote:You have been busy, John. Nice work! How is the snuggler heater working out?
Thanks Pete. She's still running like a clock. I've gone through 12 gallons of diesel through her with out a hick up :clap: .

Good to hear. Glad to see the CO detector as well. I have one and it will go off if the generator exhaust is pointed the wrong direction. I like to sleep, but I also like to wake up. :beer: :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Fisherman wrote:Looking very good, John. Here is an idea for holding a wash down hose. I made mine out of 4" diameter PVC pipe, although it could be made out of aluminum too. Simple to make. I purchased the PVC and then cut most of one side off (maybe 3/5ths of the pie, looking at the pipe from the end), leaving enough to "grab" the hose and hold it in place. Then I bolted it underneath the shelf on the gunnel, making for a clean installation.

Here they are...
Thanks for that Fisherman. I will do something along those lines this week. I think I can mount it under the gunnel and lift the hose up just a bit from where it is now. That should be slick. :beer:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sculp,

Wish you were my neighbor. And ya didn't own a boat. I'd have me a chief engineer, fabricator and a boat that had more cool stuff on it.

Ya need to mount a lazy-boy recliner on that boat next....... :rotfl: :rotfl:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Airride Seats no stinking Recliner. What he has them already.

Nice work John. I like the hose holder as well. Like my Signature says I will duplicate it :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey Goatram,

wanna duplicate or rip off some Accurates from me?
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Airride Seats no stinking Recliner. What he has them already.

Nice work John. I like the hose holder as well. Like my Signature says I will duplicate it :thumbsup:
You got it John. My captains chair is probably more money than a recliner and it's leather to boot!

I'm going to build a little hose holder out of PVC pipe to keep my hose nice and level.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Hey Goatram,

wanna duplicate or rip off some Accurates from me?
Beyond my talents. That is why Glenn does not show to much of his work here of the Special Touches that Wooldridge builds into their boats
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hahahahahahahaha.....I wasn't talking about making some Accurates, Goat. I was wondering if you wanted a few I have for sale "cheap"? :rotfl: :rotfl:
(pass it on to your BD buddies)

But yeah. Between you and Sculp, ya'll would be able to name your price on aluminum fab, down here in Plastic land.
goatram

Post by goatram »

Send me the intel! Might be? :mrgreen:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic