Decking replacement again

Get help and share Ideas
ALUMINATOR

Decking replacement again

Post by ALUMINATOR »

The repairs never seem to stop! My next project is to replace the gear with a down angle ZF 220A in order to get the flush deck I have always wanted. My setup now is with an engine box to cover the 6" of the Cummins that didn't make it under the deck. This part of my next face lift is straight forward but I want to replace the decking for the LAST TIME!!

The deck support is 2X2 tube and none are more than 24" apart. Some tell me to just use epoxy treated plywood with glass on top.
Some say to use something like Nidacore with NON ALLOY on top.
Last choice would be to use aluminum plate.

I think each has its own pros and cons but I would like to hear from the experts. If I use plywood can it be screwed to the supports and then glassed and will it remain water tight? Should the plywood be glued to the supports eliminating screws? I don't think the Nidacore can be screwed but I have been told that there are special glues that will bond it to the aluminum. Weight is always an issue but so is money. Some of these cored panels cost $300 each.

Question two: Inside the cockpit I used 1/2" clear cedar with a tongue and grove to finish the sides. I first tried a varnish did not last, sanded and painted and it still takes a beating. I would like to cover this with NON ALLOY too and then the decking and sides would all be smooth and a nice rounded inside corner.

Do you think I am on the right track and what materials should I use?

Pictures will not load. I will try again later. Sorry
welder
Site Admin

Re: Decking replacement again

Post by welder »

Need to search , IRONWOODTUNA, Martys boat he used some cool stuff on his deck.
If your pictures wont load, email them to me and I will post them in the above post.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Wow, I had to do some digging but found one of Martys post about his deck and what it is , here ya go>>>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=681&p=5509#p5509 with pictures.
Lester,
ALUMINATOR

Post by ALUMINATOR »

That stuff looks interesting but I still need a good sub base first.

I am looking into a good adhesive to bond the decking to the aluminum supports without screws.
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Aluminator, A friend of mine had a stainless steel chain guard on his Duffy. We removed it to repair a windless. It was attached with 5200 purchased at West marine. We had to force oak wedges under it and cut the adhesive with a knife to remove the guard, damm tuff stuff SS to polished NON ALLOY. :thumbsup:
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Clambo, next time try some 5200 release agent. A little around the edges and puff its released. Didn't believe it till I tried it on a transducer block.
You could look at some of the adhesives they are using to build aluminum truck bodies. I still think that your going to have some trouble sealing the edge where it meets the hull. Remember that when building "New" trucks the aluminum is new . The deck adds a lot of rigidity to a boat. I'm not sure I'd trust it to a flexing adhesive.

Welderbob
ALUMINATOR

Post by ALUMINATOR »

clambo wrote:Aluminator, A friend of mine had a stainless steel chain guard on his Duffy. We removed it to repair a windless. It was attached with 5200 purchased at West marine. We had to force oak wedges under it and cut the adhesive with a knife to remove the guard, damm tuff stuff SS to polished NON ALLOY. :thumbsup:

I have had both good and bad results with 5200 and aluminum.
ALUMINATOR

Post by ALUMINATOR »

I agree Bob. When Lester gets my pictures posted you will be able to see that I also have wood that will make the deck to hull connection maybe easier. I have to get off my busy butt and sign up to a picture storage place so I can get you guys a better look at the deck. I am starting early planing this project since the boat will not be back in the states for 3 months.Thanks so far for the advice and Merry Christmas to all!!
welderbob wrote:Clambo, next time try some 5200 release agent. A little around the edges and puff its released. Didn't believe it till I tried it on a transducer block.
You could look at some of the adhesives they are using to build aluminum truck bodies. I still think that your going to have some trouble sealing the edge where it meets the hull. Remember that when building "New" trucks the aluminum is new . The deck adds a lot of rigidity to a boat. I'm not sure I'd trust it to a flexing adhesive.

Welderbob
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dennis, here are your pictures, sorry it took so long my wife made me go to a function today. :skillet:
Left clck your mouse on the picture and it will open full size.
Attachments
DennisDeck1.jpeg
DennisDeck1.jpeg (164.44 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
DennisDeck2.jpeg
DennisDeck2.jpeg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
DennisDeck3.jpeg
DennisDeck3.jpeg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
Lester,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic