My cabin is getting a little Snugger

Get help and share Ideas
Sculpin

My cabin is getting a little Snugger

Post by Sculpin »

I have always wanted a decent heater for the cabin of my boat from the day I bought her. It did come with a cheap Woods brand RV propane heater but I ripped that out almost instantly. It was a cheap piece of crap and I don't like propane on a boat.

I came across an interesting deal on a forced air diesel heater that is made by a company that was started by ex-Espar employee's. It sure looks like and Espar. The company is called Snugger. I have started to layout how it's going to get installed and took some preliminary photos to start. I will post up the install as she goes.

I decided to mount it under the Port side passenger seat area.

Here is how the vent will have to work. It's an upside down u type trap so water does not get into the unit. Apparently this is the common way to install these vents. I was talked out of venting through the cabin bulkhead into the deck space as it will suck some exhaust back into the cabin.

Continued.....
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: My cabin is getting a little Snugger

Post by Sculpin »

The ducting will have a "t" fitting inside of the seat compartment that will allow a duct to be on the face of the seat box to heat the main cabin area.

It will then follow up under the passenger side air ride seat, through the dash bulkhead and split into two dash diffusers for defogging the windows.

This should be a really nice addition for sure.

Continued....
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Cabin's getting "A little Snugger", AH-HA, I get it :rotfl: :rotfl: Looks to be a nice set-up, Keep us "Posted". :rotfl:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I will build about a 4-5 gallon tank to fit behind the door for the diesel fuel. It will be outside and in case of a spill or what have you during filling the cabin won't stink like diesel.

This is the through hull exhaust fitting with a cooling jacket.

It will be mounted somewhere about here on the hull.

I'll post up the end results shortly as she get's installed. I can't wait as the unit is electronically fired so just turn on the batteries, press the power button before launching, and you have a nice toasty cabin shortly there after. Gotta love forts on a boat.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

It sure does look like an Espar. I look forward to hearing how you like it. Remember, any fool can rough it! :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Will it run on Kerosine too?
What are the dimensions if the unit, it looks tiny.

If it runs like Petes you will be VERY happy with it.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:It sure does look like an Espar. I look forward to hearing how you like it. Remember, any fool can rough it! :beer:
I was a fool and I did rough it for a while but broke down and this opportunity came around and I said screw it and went for it.

Here is a shot of the old POS that came with the boat. That is why there is a big hole in the front of the seat because of the grill that came with the POS unit.

Here is what we used after I ripped that POS out of her. It did work to take the edge off but was still propane and had to crack the window quite a bit.

Doesn't cut it IMO. I can't wait for this thing to be all up and running and we can dance around in the cabin in hula skirts and drink margaritas etc. lol. :beer:
Last edited by Sculpin on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Heat, a fort, margaritas, hula skirts if you chose...life is GOOOOD!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:Heat, a fort, margaritas, hula skirts if you chose...life is GOOOOD!

Life will be good once this unit is up and running. Yeah the hula skirts was probably going too far but the margaritas are going to be mandatory now. Board shorts and sandal's to get Jetty's approval?
Last edited by Sculpin on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

The Bud can makes a good circle template...looks like it is the right size! :beer: Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

John your winter time mods is still on going. I like it!

Do you have more info on the Manufacture and the price you rich Islanders paid for it installed by you? (price of heater and parts). How much clearance is required for safe operation? A cage built around it to protect it?

Starting to think of you as the true Modifier of AAB. Continue on my friend. :popcorn:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:John your winter time mods is still on going. I like it!

Do you have more info on the Manufacture and the price you rich Islanders paid for it installed by you? (price of heater and parts). How much clearance is required for safe operation? A cage built around it to protect it?

Starting to think of you as the true Modifier of AAB. Continue on my friend. :popcorn:

Here is a link to their website John.

http://www.snugger.com.au/

The manual or installation instructions

http://snuggercanada.com/AIR_HEATER_MANUAL.pdf

I am putting some shealthing around the exhaust pipe and that is about it. It will sit higher than the picture just under the seat on a bracket. I'm going to install it as per the instructions. I will still have some storage under that seat when it's all said and done. I will keep posting up as it comes along.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I got the bracket mounted for the main unit. The exhaust thruhull fitting is mounted to the hull (that was the biggest hole I have ever drilled through my hull and I almost cried). After the good news I proceeded to break 4 pilot bits hole sawing out under the seats and then my sonic hub system went all weird on me while listening to tunes breaking bits. Not ending in a good night. I'll post back with better results tomorrow :banghead:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

You probably could get by with only a gallon or two tank. They really don't burn very much. I look at the specs and it says .07gph on high down to .02gph on low. Based on by experience with an Espar D4, most of your use will be on low.

Howard
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I JUS DON'T GET IT???????

what the hell is that???????

A heater, I get it. But it ""burns""" diesel? and then blows heat??

Really, where's the exhaust?

You guys and all yer cold weather toys :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: and fort stuff.

Don't spill that diesel fuel on that nice new deck paint Sculpin. That might make one big azz stain in yer deck. If your deck paint is anything like mine.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I'm going to put a proper filler on the gunnel rail just like my gas filler on the other side of the boat. This should eliminate any chance of spilling on the deck. If you read my original post you will see where the exhaust if going :popcorn:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'll wait till you're all done. I've never seen such a deal.

Believe me, I read every word.

So, you're combusting the diesel in that, heating something up, and it's gonna blow hot air thru the ducts.

Got it.

Wow. And it's funny I used to be a A/C mechanic, now try explaining how that works to an Eskimo :idea:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Wow. And it's funny I used to be a A/C mechanic, now try explaining how that works to an Eskimo :idea:
AC is going to be next and I think I'll mount it on the roof for the 3 days a year that I need it

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :popcorn:

^^^^
(Joking)
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Take a dip in the water John instant AC. Your lil Buddy will crawl up inside to get warm real quick as soon as he feels the Salt water on him. :rotfl:

Average Summer temp around here is 54* winter 45 to 49* till you get 40 miles off shore where it will be 60* for a couple of months in the summer
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Take a dip in the water John instant AC. Your lil Buddy will crawl up inside to get warm real quick as soon as he feels the Salt water on him. :rotfl:

Average Summer temp around here is 54* winter 45 to 49* till you get 40 miles off shore where it will be 60* for a couple of months in the summer
I know about the temps goatram. I was just trying to shock the Jetty man. As I indicated I was joking about the AC and the only boats that I have seen with AC units on them are from down South (and rightly so they should have AC on there boats with forts). It f'ing hot down there. :shocked:

Anyways Jetty these units are quite common "up" here North of the 49 eh? and very much needed in Alaska. There are company's like Webasto, Espar, Wallas, etc. that all offer diesel fired heat. I know you don't know much about them because you don't need them "down" there but they are very popular.

This particular unit is made for trucks or rigs mostly. Same set up as an Espar at half the price. I will definately post up how it last's etc. (I am really not worried about it at all).
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, will it burn kerosene?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:John, will it burn kerosene?
Les I know you have been waiting for that reply. I will look in the manual and let you know shortly (remember I'm on Island time and the goatman say's things are quite quite ssllooww up here). :popcorn:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well I cut lot's of hole's in here tonight. I hope she still loves me. I know she will because she is going to be nice and comfy know lol.

Nice and almost flush mounted disfussers.

The main cabin difusser mounted on the face of the seat.

The exhaust thru hull fitting mounted and modified so that it points up now to keep the upside down trap tucked behind the seating area.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Here is the tank layout to fit behind the door outside. All you mathematicians can probably figure out the gallons ha ha.

Plan view (that's a 7 by the way for the width)

Elevation view
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic