Re: LaConner goes under the knife

Post by wdkerek »

looking SA-WEET!!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Chaps,
It has come up really well. The "old" alloy inside the hull still looks clean & does not look as old as it is. Cannot imagine glass looking as good after 10 years on the hard. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
What did the bracket cost you if you don't mind me asking? Link to them? We do not have those down here, or at least I have never seen one, & the areas of potential usage seem endless.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I think this is it Pete.
http://www.portaproducts.com/
I have never seen one before either.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Thanks Chaps for the great thread. Really interesting to see.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

peterbo3 wrote:G'Day Chaps,
It has come up really well. The "old" alloy inside the hull still looks clean & does not look as old as it is. Cannot imagine glass looking as good after 10 years on the hard. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
What did the bracket cost you if you don't mind me asking? Link to them? We do not have those down here, or at least I have never seen one, & the areas of potential usage seem endless.
They (Porta brackets) are not well known outside of Florida as I understand it as they are primarily sold to those rigging flats boats but you are right in that a number of other uses can be dreamed up. Easily converting a vessel to outboard power is the obvious one. In my case my goal was to have more control over the position of my prop during various operational scenarios.

I'm looking for my invoice on that unit so I can quote accurately but as I recall it was something on the order of $2000 USD with the electric hydraulic pump. More costly than a simple welded bracket for sure but far more versatile.

Welding to the existing plating was challenging for the shop that did the work (NDI). Old alloy will allow fairly deep penetration of salts, oxides, oils and other minerals that will contaminate new welds adjoining it in spite of efforts to grind away the offending crud. The plate inside the old engine bay was very nice but there was quite a bit of fit-up to older material on the exterior that was a pain to work with.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

S L Dave wrote:Thanks Chaps for the great thread. Really interesting to see.
It's all fun stuff, happy to share with the group. I've started the rigging, so far the bulk of the engine control, fuel system and battery system are roughed in. Hope to have it in the water for a few hours of engine breakin by this time next week.

I know it doesn't look like it but I'm getting close!

MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Hey Chaps,
Bumping back this thread for more pictures and info on the boat. How does it perform with the 225? Thinking I would like to do a project like this if I could find the right boat at the right price, this style of boat I could leave in a marina would allow me more use and use in bad weather.
I think you may have posted more info on the boat but I could not find it with the search function on this site.
Thanks.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Well unfortunately I don't have a batch of numbers to post that would tell the fuel efficiency and performance story. So much of my use is short hops, towing, quick commutes to Seattle, afternoon crab & salmon gatherings, etc. that I don't have much to say other than its been a flawless machine and doesn't seem to use much fuel. Its strange (for me) to not already be looking for my next boat/project as I usually get itchy but this thing does everything I want it to do and anything else I could move towards forces me to give up function and utility that I currently have . . . just might keep this one for the duration!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

CHAPS,

How abouts a update.

Porta-Bracket after "awhile". Any issues, updated info, or is it still flawless?

I'd really just like to have me a Jackplate. But that's just in a long list of wants that won't make me any more $$.

I never knew after purchasing my boat that I'd never do anything else with it. I thought it may have made me more $$.

Those T&H marine Jackplates are all the rage. Still don't see many "porta's" round here. But I should.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic