Alaskan's what a people 2012

Get-togethers and fun events
welder
Site Admin

Re: Alaskan's what a people 2012

Post by welder »

Dang Mojo , you sleep a lot Dude.

I'm waiting for Scott to post his trip ( as he's doing ) through his 1st time eyes on the PWS and he is doing a great job. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Excellent clip, Scott! That pretty much sums up how Propnut and I spend our summers out there. Our boats are our floating cabins or motor homes. We boaterhome!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
PropNut
Halibut Whisperer

Post by PropNut »

Just watched the fourth video in the series . . . awesome!! Thanks Scott for taking the time to put that together, and to really capture what day two was like. Our weather has not been the best lately and I am hoping for a few more sunny days before the ground turns white.

Mojo - Let me recal the halibut tale for a moment.

Les and I broke off from the second boat to try a shrimpin' spot I had had luck with in the past. This spot was right at the entrance to our anchorage for the evening - Granite Bay. Les and I took about 30 minutes to drop 5 pots in about 400 - 450 feet of water half a mile from the shore. There were several commercial guys in the vicinity, so Les and I decided keep an eye on the gear and fish while the shrimp gear soaked. The salmon were going crazy all around us, litterally jumping every 15 seconds or so. Taking advantage of the situation, Les and I pulled out the trolling gear and set up with two Wright & McGill 10 ft trolling rods with line counters, big flashers, divers and green and yellow squid for bait. We got the gear in the water and set the boat to do several passes at 1.8 kts. We did this for about half an hour . . . and I was getting bored. I think that the AAD is responsible for me not catching more fish. I'm worse than the kids sometimes. If there is a lul in catching fish, I need to do something else. So even though the salmon were apparently everywhere, none of them were buying what we were selling. We pulled in the trolling gear and picked a spot to bottom fish. Les has more experience with spotting bottom fish hangouts, so I followed his lead. We motored to a spot near a nice drop off in about 110 feet of water. It was calm out so we decided to drift. Me, being lazy, decided to use my trolling rod with a diamond jig w/treble hook to pull up a rockfish or two. Les and I dropped the hooks, grabbed a beverage and enjoyed the sun and calm seas. After about 15 minutes of "jigging" the lure up and down, trying to entice whatever lived on the bottom to come up topside, I decided to put the pole in the holder, change the tunes on the radio, and grab something from the galley. I walked in the cabin, was about to grab something to eat . . . when I hear Les say that I have something on my line. Well, I figure that I snagged the bottom and will probably loose my lure. I run over to the pole . . . and well, it is not behaving like it is snagged on the bottom. For what ever reason, my first thought was that it was a seal. I don't know why I thought this, I have never caught a seal before, but for that matter, I had never caught anything big before, so seal seemed the logical choice. This thing, whatever it was, had some shoulders on it. I tried at first to pawn off the rod and reel to Les, as he is the more experienced fisherman, but no, he wanted me to reel in whatever was on the other end . . . up. So I reeled . . . and I reeled. It wasn't too bad really. The butt of the rod was wedging its way into some tender areas, but otherwise the fight was going well. The reel with the line counter on it, for better or worse, I was able to keep tabs on my progress. I would reel in 20 to 30 feet . . . then the fish would spool out 20 - 30 feet. I would reel, he would spool. This went on for about 10-15 minutes. I was getting tired, and he was getting tired. Luckily I had eaten my Wheaties that day, because I was starting to make ground. 10 - 15 feet at a time, but progress none the less. Les was an awesome wingman the entire time. I certainally would have lost the fish had it not been for his support and tips. "Don't noon the pole", he would say, or "keep the tip out of the water", or my favorite, "don't sit down, your on video!!". We were winning the fight. The entire time I still had no idea what we were pulling up from the icy depths. The counter was slowly clicking down to 000. 30 feet, then 20 feet then 10 feet "I got color, what is that . . . a manta ray?!?, holy cow, that's a big halibut!!!" I couldn't believe I had a halibut. This was my first halibut, but . . . it wasn't my first time halibut fishing. The closest I had gotten in the past was a 25 lb arrow tooth flounder. It looked like a halibut, but it tasted like %&*#@!! This was different, this was a big fish, and a halibut to boot. As the fish got to the surface, Les warned me not to bring him all the way out. He then started looking around and tried to formulate a game plan to get the monster in the boat. The fish was not going to go easy. He was pissed! Les first looked at my landing net. It's a big net, but the fish was even bigger, plan B. He then asked if I had a harpoon?? my reply "No . . . but it sounds cool and I will have to get one" Next was, did I have a gun on board. My reply, "I'm Alaskan, of course I have a gun on board!". "What kind of gun?" he asked, ""410??", my reply, nope, ".22", reply, "nope", "what kind of gun is it then?", my reply, "H&K USP 45" Les's reply (big grin) This post is getting long, and I can't see what I am typing. I will finish this up in part two.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Ahhh...the halibut whisperer has spoken..er..whispered.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Sounds great so far Doug. :thumbsup: Don't keep us waiting to long. :nutkick: :popcorn: :popcorn:
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Doug, Good story so far
I don't believe we've heard any of this... except for the 45 :popcorn:
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
PropNut
Halibut Whisperer

Post by PropNut »

. . . So Les goes in to get the gun out of the cabin. I hastily told him to look for a black pelican case under the captian's chair. He runs in, (we are both super pumped on adrenaline at this point) and he tries to pull up the chair. I am still fighting a very pissed off fish, and hear a frantic Les trying to pull the chair off the boat. I yell up to him that it is in the locker under the floor by the captians chair. He looks, and finds two pelican cases. First one has a pair of Steiner binoculars in it, "nope", but the second one hits the jackpot. He runs over (always pointing the gun in a safe direction) with the gun. He cocks the gun, points the gun at the fish and . . . nothing. Damn, the safety is on!! Les had never fired an H&K before, so I showed him where the safety was. Ok, now we are ready, "hold steady, bring the fish to the boat", BLAM, first shot . . . a good shot below the eye. Status report on the fish, bleeding a fair amount, but still pissed. Second shot BLAM, a bit closer to the beasts brain right below the left eye, but still not a halibut stopper. Third shot BLAM!!! Event Horizon 1, fish 0. Three shots to take down the beast. It was at this point I remembered to switch on the GoPro. I am still kicking myself for not recording more of the action. The fish is now dangling rather lightly on a treble hook. Les grabs on of the gaffs from the locker, "man, this is a salmon gaff, got anything bigger?!?" I managed to find a slightly better gaff and Les swung at the fish and hooked it near the gills. At first he tried to lift the fish on his own, while I held on to the rod. He probably could have muscled it up on his own, but I didn't want anyone to get hurt on the first day, so I put down the pole and on the count of three, both he and I heafted the fish over the rail. Man, let me tell you, that was a moment I will not soon forget. As we pulled the fish out of the water, the hook popped out of its mouth. The flexible trolling rod never let up tension on the hook, otherwise it would have popped much sooner. The treble itself was a mess. The fish got hooked on two of the three prongs. The first prong was broken clean off and the second was bent almost strait. I kept the diamond jig/hook for posterity and it is now hanging on my "man wall" in the garage. The landing of the fish took around 15 minutes. It pulled strong but was never unmanagable. We measured the fish that night and it came out to 5' 10" and approximatly 168 lbs. First day of the trip and already a 150lb+ butt. Back in the cockpit we were like two school kids trying to figure out how we were going to revea the beast to the other boat. In the end we decided to lift up the fish using the boat crane. After our celebratory beer, and several retellings of the events that had just transpired (high fives included), we packed up the gear, pulled our shrimp gear, (5 shrimp, not a good story) and headed up Wells Passage to show the other boat what we pulled up from the deep. We tried hard to contain our enthusiam on the radio, but they knew something was up. We hoisted the big butt from the dingy crane and gave a quick rendition of our story (still grinning from ear to ear). They were all impressed and got some good pictures of the fish. I then admitted to Mojo that I had never cleaned a halibut, and would trade some of the meat for a lesson on filleting. He agreed, mumbled something about needing a bigger cutting table and then we all headed over to S. Granite bay for the first night on the hook. Day one of the trip was a success.
halibut hook.jpg
halibut hook.jpg (128.06 KiB) Viewed 11761 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

:clap: :highfive: Cooooool story... like I was there. Filleting that amazing critter from the deep was a dream come true for me. I would have never thought I would have the opportunity of processsing such a monsterous Halibut.... You Doug my friend was a very quick student. You cutta the fish real well. You truly are the Halibut Whisperer King.

If I remember the video Les promised me $1.00 a pound :rotfl:

Actually never remembered bartering for services...... for you my friend it would be free. Thank You for the fillets though. Tonight I had some Halibut remembering the trip/adventure with every bite. That my friends is the enjoyment of fishing and eating the catch of the day :thumbsup:

Would you like to see the dinner I made ??????????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
PropNut
Halibut Whisperer

Post by PropNut »

As a matter of fact I would love to see the dinner you made. You gotta good recipe??
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Actually this is a work in progress....... proper balancing of flavors.

Making a breading......Macadamia nuts, Smoked Almonds, Sun Chips, Corn Meal in blender.

Spicing up the breading.

Peppered the fillets before egg and breading coat

Pan searing ..... 2 tablespoons of Ginger infused Olive Oil 2 minutes each side medium high heat. Place pan in 350 degree oven !0 minutes.

Make a Nectarine Salsa. 2 Nectarines, 1/2 Jalapeno (To taste) 1/4 red onion, 1/2 avacado, 2 Roma Tomatos (had to improvise used cherry tomatos) Chop into 1/4 inch cubes. Jalapeno finely diced. Add avocado last gently mix. Salt and pepper to taste.

Plated Bed of Sushi Rice (litle bit of Rice Vinegar to pot of rice) Drizzle of Soy Sauce. Breaded Halibut. Topped with Nectarine Salsa. Baby spinach salad with honey vinegarette.

Need to work on ratios..... I think a bit of pineapple to the Salsa will brighten it up a bit. More Coarse pepper into the breading. As far as I know this recipe has never been tried......... Welcome to Hawaiian meets Alaska.

Actually the closest U.S.A road to Hawaii is in Alaska.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

GREAT story. :thumbsup: :highfive:
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Great story, Doug! You need to put a harpoon on the "must add to the boat" list. :thumbsup:

Mojo, you are making me hungry with the pics. :beer:
Last edited by spoiled one on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Beautiful dish and recipe! :beer:

You should audition for Master Chef....really.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Good stuff AAB brothers

That would be approximately $168.00 us dollars
Mojo has paypal

:scuba: :scuba: :scuba:
CarolMizer

Post by CarolMizer »

Have to admit, being the taste tester in this household can greatly impact the waistline. But hey, someone has to do it, RIGHT??
The last recipe was sort of a quickly eaten gourmet dinner before running off to work... Very flavorful and full of robust textures and aromas. All in all. IT TASTED FANTASTIC. Would have been perfect with some wine or a beer but, don't think my patients would appreciate it as much as I would.

As for telling my Alaska story and sharing pictures, have to admit I would rather see what the guys did on their fishing adventure.

:soap:
Carol-------> I'm with Mojo
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Wow Les and Scott I did not know I snored like Curly of the Three Stooges :shocked:

Carolmizer has been a pretty good test subject....... I know I have had my share of epic failures. Seems I sometimes add to much hot peppers into the mix :gunner2: :shocked:

I believe that Wednesday Morning the temptation of seeing Salmon jumping around became too much. Scott and I jumped on Patiences "Rubber Ducky" to see if they wanted to play.

I appologize....... this is my first attemp at under water GoPro video. Without flat lens, duct taped to a deck brush and not fully acclimated to aiming the lens where I wanted it.

We ended up hooking 6 pink Salmon. Two by mouth and four by unintentional snag. All released to spawn up stream.

Pink Salmon are a interesting fish. I believe that they are the only Salmon where the smolt enters the Bay. forgoing life in the Stream or Lake. As adults, once they hit fresh water they change really fast into spawning mode and are not good tablefare. Though spoiled Alaskans :mrgreen: thumb their noses at the Pink Salmon, Fresh caught from the Ocean and prepared that night is pretty good for a uneducated and unspoiled lower 48. Abundant and fun to catch I have no complaints.

Sooooooo here is my first attempt at GoPro videography and YouTube posting. (damn another thing to learn "Codec")

The video image is much better if you view in 1080 HD mode. I have a long way to go to become as skilled as In2deep. I hope he plans on posting up Wednesday. My video editing would surely cause this site to lose many a members and may have this site "Banned" off the web :popcorn: Mad Alaskan's storming the Japanese embassy setting it ablaze. I wait with baited breath for your post In2deep :scuba: The civilized world needs you :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-5P6X426Uw
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Well, that's 6 minutes of my life I'd like to get back! j/k! :nutkick:
That was from Thursday morning. You skipped a day ahead... again :mrgreen:

Believe it or not, I just finished editing day 3(Wednesday) of our Alaskan adventure.
I will be uploading tonight while we are sleeping since it uses all my bandwidth and renders my internet useless, probably like when Welder had to deal with dial-up speeds :banghead:

It's going to be in two parts for total of 37 minutes
Stand by for one day :joecool:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hmmmmm remember when you re-formatted Welder's and my GoPro. Date tag is Wednesday?????? Told you days seem to melt together on me.

Sorry for killing 6 minutes of your life.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Children :sarge: play nice or I'll take your Alloy away.
:rotfl:
Lester,
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Oh, Mark, you snore more like Moe and the hair is pretty close too.

:mrgreen:
Lester,
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Let's go fishing!

We like big butts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTx5sqvVJ4
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

That's 4:18 of my life I'll never get back. :nutkick:

My Dad told my to marry a woman with small HOO HOOs and a small butt because when she hits about 40 they will both be down around her knees.

I did what he said. :thumbsup:
Lester,
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

welder wrote:That's 4:18 of my life I'll never get back. :nutkick:
Touche! :nutkick:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I watched it , really I did, there is some funny stuff in the Video .
Lester,
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Les as I envision a Texan catching Salmon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pewILmqHZ3I

Ahhhh the look at the eagle trick.

Hey Les have you found your boat???????????? :shocked:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic