Post by welder »

Hey, isn't that Petes Cereal bowl?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Alaskan's what a people 2012

Post by mojomizer »

So now that In2Deep let the knife incident out of the bag........ geeze...... For tonights entertainment on the Halibut Channel...........(My Best Mike Rowe Voice) "As the Alloy turns." Seven men let loose upon the waters of Prince William Sound. Enduring rough seas and violent unpredictable weather. Will the young captain keep his crew under control, Gun wielding Texan, Southern California green horn, Old Forgetful and Angry Asian, a up and coming Captain looking for the Halibut title plus two mini deckhands.

I guess I was pretty exhausted and fueled up with the third Captain on the boat. Somebody making sure I was not to comfortable. Nudging my head with a stick as if it were a turd on a public beach. Thanks Scott you were not going to sleep anyways.

Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

All in good fun.......... Friends and their thumbs up............. :thumbsup:

Doug two thumbs up :thumbsup:

Scott and Pete Thumbs up.... Whew!!!!

Les I think is thumbs up.....?????????

Wait those Texans. It's string them up or shoot em up.

Mr.T Thumbs up....... Thanks buddy for sticking up for me :thumbsup:

Mr. Z abstained....... I fully understand :thumbsup:

I am not voted off the Island and get to Fish/Camp/Party another day :thumbsup:

Pete had a split thumb..... ouch and Quillback Rockfish seemed to find the spot :nutkick:

All is well in "As the Alloy Turns"..... Doug with parting wisdom.

Ok enough of the goofy stuff on to some serious Tackle, Techniques and and Fishing Wisdom......
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Not that I am a expert or anything like that, just a few thoughts of over 40 years of fishing. Hanging with Dad and friends..... new, young and old.

With more knowledge and experienced gained.......... Fishing should become simpler and returned to the basics. Just as when we were kids...... all we had was a stick, string, sparkplug (weight) and a rusty hook (for me anyways). A little knowledge of the quarry, what they like to eat. Where they like to hide, rest and eat and swim. Fishing with A open mind, free of our daily lives...... On the water breathing free.

As we get older and hopefully a bit wiser. Our toys become a bit more sophisticated and costlier (Outdoor industry loves us). Whether we own a Platey, Tinny, Clorox Bottle or Rubber Ducky...... it is all about choice and the means to pay for it.
For me I am and always will be a Alloy type of guy.

I have seen kids with cheap Wallmart combo rods catch monster fish....... I have seen oldtimers catch the most and largest tuna on some vintage well taken care of rods and reels............ common denominator was Knots, Quality Line and Sharp Hooks... The most important above all would be confidence and comfort with what they have.

With that........ Shakespeare Ugly Stick durabilty, cost and puts fish on the deck. No finer rod for kids or adults.

Heck for it's size and action......... it has caught larger Halibut then I ever have.

Spinning reels and rod have come a long way since I was a kid. Correct me my friend Scott if any of this information is incorrect. (Error Correction) Two piece 9 foot Batson Enterprises Rainshadow and Shimano fb 5000 Stradic reel with 40 lb. Power Pro Spectra. Great action. Great castability. If any Salmon in the area Scott was all over it. Casting a Laser minnow in a pattern that matches Herring. Let that lure drop deep and it was regularly catching Rockfish. Be sure to be on the look out for Scotts fishing videos. (Too Cool :thumbsup: )

Diawa Inline Rods unique in design but killer in action and durability. These rods should have become more popular than what they are.

Pete hooked up again. Sea Conditions and weather Pure Perfection.

A old classic rod that is no longer Manufactured a Kencor 707xxh Panga Special at 5'6" rated for 40 to 80 LBS.
a fun old rod ahead of it's time......... exact action of a Jigging Master with a bit more shutoff under pressure. Paired with a Shimano Torsa 30 that is spooled with 100 Lbs. Spiderwire.

Scott putting a little bend in the Kencor rail style. Mr. T calling out the type of fish from the way it fought. He was right!

Man does the GO PRO sure accent the bend.

Pete putting a respectable bend in the Kencor, it really is a fun rod to fish. I am impressed, Pete though left handed handles the reel nicely....... I tried Pete's left hand reels and I might as well set it down and handline or fish it upside down.

Pete chugging along on a respectable fish....... check out Scott's home made ball jig. I would fish that with squid tentacle all day too. Very nice In2Deep. I'll take 6 12 oz jigs.

I personally fished a "off the shelf" Super Seeker SH 70h Hercules rod with a Accurate 600 BX2 Extreme and 100 Lb. Spiderwire. Though some considered this as not "back to basics" it was very comfortable and smooth doing what I like best Jigging a PL68 in glow pattern with a octopus tentacle.

I am in heaven, Jigging and enjoying the shorts weather and fantastic views.

Scott and I Hooking and handing most fish to Mr. T and Mr.Z when they wanted. The rod at 7 foot in length alot of leverage was against them....... We still could not wear them out.

This was the fish I was waiting for...........

Inspired on the feel of this rod...... long ago I planned on building Pete a custom rod......... He exhibited his boat's name "Patience" I could only hope it was worth his wait.

I think I wrapped that rod several times....... Spiral Wrap "great googly moogley I wrapped it for a right handed reel........ Spiral wrap left handed. Line seemed to want to wrap around a guide during jigging motion. Costly if a fish decide to hit at that very moment....So Conventional it became......... Curious cat decides that my wrap is a toy during Rod Coat drying. The evidence tons of cat hair, Cat has eight lives. Disinterested Cat whips it with tail at drying process, Cat at seven lives. Still to this day if the Cat loses 4 more lives Carolmizer can have her cloned using the "Patience" rod. Carolmizer kept shaking her head why I kept cutting threads and guides off.

This rod (Seeker Hercules GTS 70H) was set up with a with a left hand Avet MXJ5.8:1 and 100 lb. Spiderwire..... Charkbait sure does take care of their customers........ Free Reel cover and a pair of $50 Plier cutters. Nice buy Pete

Pete going bendo, a regular happening.

Tackle pretty basic but effective:

Pete's favorite Lead head and Custom poured plastic. Herring and or Octopus Tentacle for scent and taste...... Deadly on all species large enough to enhale a 12 Oz. Leadhead.

I do not know what you call this. Double Mono Spreader?????? and Circle Hook with Ball weight. I feel this set up did two things. One.......... catch fish........ Two........ important to me put scent trail into the water. Halibut can follow a scent trail from a quite a distance. People on other boards dispute and argue this point. Proof to me is when Pete says one hour soak and it happens. Logic has me asking this question how far did a effective scent trail travel in one hour????? Then it's jigging time baby.

My favorite Jig...... deadly on West Coast Tuna, Rockfish, Lingcod, Large Salmon and Pacific Halibut. Bet it will do a job on The East Coast Denizens of the Deep. Wish one of you guys would try it. Depending on species a treble or single hook is used. For Alaska I like using a Single huge J hook and Octopus tentacle. Twitched, dragged and slow rolled Yo Yo depending on what the fish want................ Salas PL68 in Glow.

Mr.Z Nice Yelloweye PL68

Proofs in the pudding........

Seemed Scott was always hooked up..... correct if I am wrong... A P-Line Laser Minnow in a pattern that matches Herring. Silver or chrome with blueish purple back about three inches long.

So if I was to travel to Prince William Sound Alaska the Jigs that I would think of taking:

One last bit of advice....... use large hooks. If you think you have a large hook go one size up :mrgreen: Seems the smaller hooks will catch alot more Quillback Rockfish........ Quillbacks are a great fish and eats great, but it is considered a non pelagic fish (Does not migrate) and counts as part of the daily bag limit of 2 Non pelagic Rockfish 2 in possesion. First two non pelagics caught must be retained. I think that I would prefer two 10-22 lb. Yelloweye Rockfish.

Pete has a great release rig idea.....tying to the shank of one of his 24 oz jig heads....removing the barb. So he can release a rockfish down deep to negate Barotrauma.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

2 piece 9ft. Rainshadow (Batson Enterprises) Salmon/steelhead 12-25lb
Stradic fb 5000 40lb Power Pro Spectra
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

AAB in Alaska- Part 2
2nd half of day 1
As it happened to the best of my recollection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw1yYJdcWrw
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Scott, WELL DONE SIR, well done.

Man Mojo can snore . :joecool:
Lester,
PropNut
Halibut Whisperer

Post by PropNut »

Hey fellas, I am enjoying the recount of the trip. That trip was amazing. I have been out pretty much every weekend since the meet & greet, but none of the voyages have been able to hold a candle to that trip in terms of weather, fish caught or laughs on the hook. I could have used some of Scott's salmon fishing prowess this past weekend in Seward for the Silver Salmon Derby. Renee, Z-man, Sam-I-Am and I headed three hours south for three days of fishing in Resurection Bay. This first day I was pulling in what I thought were silvers, but found out as I was cleaning them that they were pinks. Second day we got a bit more dialed in. As we were fishing Renee would shout questions to passing boast, "What depth are you at?", "What lures are you using?", "Can we borrow one of your crew for an hour so we can catch some fish?!?". By the third day we had our routeen but we couldn't find the fish. Other boats were catching, we just had an off day. Despite not pulling in a ton of fish, we had really good weather for the three days, the boat worked great and everyone had a fun time. I was surprised at the level of enthusiam my crew showed the whole time, dispite the 6-7 ft ground swells and hardcore fishing for at least 6 hrs for two of the days. Day three they were still going storng.

Again, I am really just getting started with fishing. I think I finally got the bug. It must have started during the Meet & Greet when the fishing God's down on me and presented me with some monster fish. Les was a great resource and gave me some pointers on finding fish, reeling up the fish, directing the fish where you want it to go once it is near the boat, and of course shooting the fish. Some of the gear the guys brought up for the trip was really top shelf. My stuff is more middle of the road and when I bought the boat it had a bunch of gear included.
Reel 02.jpg
Reel 02.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 13896 times
I bought this set-up last spring for the purpose of trolling for salmon. My boat does not have downriggers yet, so I am using a flasher/diver set-up instead. I bought two Okuma Clarion Line counter reel w/40 lb braided line, set on a 9 ft. Wright & McGill medium action trolling rod. I like the feel of the Wright & McGill rod, although at 9 feet, it is a bit long when we are trying to land a salmon on a rolly deck of the boat.
Reel 01.jpg
Reel 01.jpg (124.94 KiB) Viewed 13896 times
This reel is quickly becoming my favorite and I am finding myself getting really used to the ease of using the line counter. While I bought the poles/reels for trolling, I now find that I use them pretty much for everything. Trolling, jigging, rockfish, halibut, salmon, it was this pole that I caught the big 168 flatty with using a diamond jig.
Reel 03.jpg
Reel 03.jpg (123.34 KiB) Viewed 13896 times
Using the 9 ft medium action rods is not perfect and we have lost a few fish because of the length of the rods, so I am thinking about changing a few more of my halibut rods to the Okuma line counter reels. Renee really likes the reels as they are easy to use, and we had quite a bit of luck targeting the fish on the fish finder. Z-man would yell out depths of the fish, and Renee and I would send down our jigs to that depth and had pretty good luck.

Two questions - 1) What is your opionion of this rod and reel set-up, and 2) why don't more reels have line counters?!?

I will probably fish what I have this year, but thought I would get the opionion of the experts before I made any more purchases. :thumbsup: The rods I have are nice heavy Lamiglas rods, but I am uncertain if the Okuma's will stand up to the riggors of being used to "winch" up halibut and rockfish. Any advise is appreciated.

BTW, I should have worn the Viking hat more. Those pics are hilarious.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hello Halibut Whisperer..... Hail to the King. Salutations to your great Family.

Definately wear the hat :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep your fishing time fun for the family. :highfive:

To your question........ alot of people do use line counters. I do not..... fish have fins and swim to eat. I'll work the depth column by counting time and sometimes see my jig on the depth finder. I have also counted pulls of line going out. Remember more mechanical gadgets the more chances for failure.... Pole length and action Salmon have soft mouths and rods are designed to absorb their thrashing about without throwing the hook. :rotfl: Get a 10 foot net :rotfl: joking. Scott did not have problems netting fish with his 9 foot spinner. He will be glad to answer. If you are still not happy change gear.......... fish what makes you comfortable.

As for your Okuma Clarion 304d I have not fished them........ If you like them and they work and are durable fish em. If you are putting reels on your Loomis's think like Pete.......... Avets you do not need line counters fishing the Bottom.

If I was given a choice The best gear in the world or mid grade gear and knowledge. I would pick knowledge.

You are on the right path :thumbsup:

Intel from Friends, co workers and on the water boaters is paramount.... :highfive: to Renee

Use your electronics.... Radio contacts and ship to ship communication :thumbsup: Learn to read your depth sounder. It will tell you bait concentration and depth salmon are feeding. Heck you should be able to see your jig working. Gps showing structure spots, drift pattern and direction the school of fish are moving.

Use your eyes and binoculars.... Flipping bait, Jumping fish, Feeding Birds or Mammals....... amazing what you see if you take the time to really watch.

Trolling highly effective but does not float my Alloy. Mooching cut herring on the drift.... using your line counter to get to the right depth, Basic geometry .....angle of line and length of line. Line counter's just help you repeat where you caught the fish.

Using chrome Buzz-Bombs counting the time it sinks and retrieving in many patterns till you find what they want...Errr ERRR ughhhhh (Tim the Toolman) while the line counters are mooching(keep within your states laws.) Scott's Laser minnow Herring pattern is a great choice too. Ask Mr.T to show you his lucky lures Mojo gave him..... made by Salas Jigs check out their website.

You have gear.... you have a awesome fishing platform ( :thumbsup: Wooldridge) Turns of the prop.... Time on the Water.... Wetting a line will get you fish.

Fish the gear till something breaks then upgrade...... easy to say but hard to do.

Thank you my friend, what you have done for me cannot be thanked enough :thumbsup:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Great video Scott your are the Master. :thumbsup: :beer: :clap: :highfive: Now I cannot sleep fearing I may snore :shocked:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Let's see if I can put part 1 and 2 on the same page????? Great videos Scott :thumbsup: Keep up the great Work :clap:

Boat: Patience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj4XqQARLUU

Boat: Event Horizon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxhp5EJJlvY

Part 1 Day 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwtoSI3-cU

Part 2 Day 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw1yYJdcWrw

What a learning curve ....... probably did it the hard way :banghead: Please enjoy Scott's Hard Work :beer: :popcorn:

Funny story..... When Tailing Shrimp water would squirt out a certain way. Of course, the prankster I am, figured out a way to direct the water. For a few minutes it was fun squirting water at Scott :rotfl: Saying "Sorry I do not know why it was doing that" Scott figured it out pretty quickly :nutkick: Sorry Buddy :mrgreen:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Day 2

Woke up to a beautiful morning.
We were side tied 3 wide for the night

Jerry took off early to start his day of adventures

We had a leisurely morning of cooking breakfast and Pete zoomed around in his inflatable

We (myself, Pete and Mark) headed out to check the shrimp pots that had been soaking overnight and had a decent haul of Spot and Coon-stripe Prawns

After hauling the pots aboard, we cruised back to find the other guys

Doug, along with Les and the kids went to try their luck at some fishing. They had some luck

continued...
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

From there, we made a run to Perry Island and the Oyster farm located on the south end in a beautiful cove
The caretakers were nice enough to explain and show us how they grow and care for their oysters

Fresh oysters and prawn
Does it get any better than that?

From there, we made the run to Eshamy Bay Lodge for a tour and visit
http://www.eshamybaylodge.com/

By now it's almost 5pm. We made the run to our next anchorage (Copper Bay) for the evening

After getting anchored up and the boats side tied together, it was time to relax and prepare dinner

Can you say Prime Rib?

…until tomorrow (Day 3)
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Let's see if Eshamybay Lodge tells us about the lodge and what there is to do there, I would like to go back for a long weekend there with my boat.

http://www.eshamybaylodge.com/
Lester,
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Great stuff guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And it just wouldn't be an "Alaska post" if it didn't have a "Mojo-pose" in it :highfive: :rotfl:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Hey Zues! How did I miss this thread :skillet: . Just finished going through it all. Totally in awe at the beautiful scenery and the good times. Really enjoyed it so far. Thank you everyone involved for posting the fantastic photo's and video's. Please keep them coming :clap:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Let's see if Eshamybay Lodge tells us about the lodge and what there is to do there, I would like to go back for a long weekend there with my boat.
If the Lord wills it, I will journey there before my time is up. Staggering, overwhelming. And that is me just viewing the pics.

The State of Alaska and Eshamy Bay Lodge should be writing y'all large checks for your PR work. :clap:
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

There's more!
Just be patient please
:beer:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Scott the Rainbow Waterfall is such a cool picture :thumbsup:

If you are anywhere near Perry Island I suggest you visit..... RoyalWave oyster farm :thumbsup: They were so cool taking the time to show the kids... Old/Young their operation. The one woman was pulling that oyster string up and down repeatedly for us so we could have a photo op...:thumbsup: But I liked eating those Sweet Succulent Oysters they made my eyes roll back...... sorry guys I snuck a few on Tueday :mrgreen:

Interested should check this out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-Wav ... 3021474969
Anyone in the area call on channel 16 ask for RoyalWave Oyster Farms if you forget just ask for Oysters.

Eshamy Lodge what a nice group of people, I know it is a business but what genuine people ...Mark and Mary invited me on their personal 50 foot Nordhaven that they bought in my neck of the woods. Mary and Mark was busy sanding the wood rails. Pam what a friendly great gal gave us the tour. She has family in Orange County. Duke telling me fishing stories and was interested in all the gear we were using.

Mr.T and Mr.Z having fun jumping off the boat dock into the inviting waters of the PWS.... Daring me to jump in also. I thought about it for a second......... but sanity and my 50 year old body saying Instant heart attack.... I reluctantly declined.....Yea riiiiiiiiiiight. I am telling you Alaskan kids are tough. Blue lips and goose bumps they were undaunted in having their swim.

Interested in seeing more??? http://www.eshamybaylodge.com/

Water was so clear off the dock.

Blue Lips and Goosebumps.

ahhhhh Wednesday what a great day...............
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
fishfeeder

Post by fishfeeder »

nice post mate. it is trully a paradise there.
thanks for shearing your advanture.
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Wow what a beautiful place! Do you guys usually shoot the butts? :thumbsup: :beer: :gunner2:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Only the BIG ones , you don't want a large chunk of flat muscle beating you and your boat up .
Lester,
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Okay guys- Day 2 of our Alaskan adventure
At first, I was struggling to put this video together because it didn't involve any fishing.
Then I started looking over the footage and remembered how much we really did this day.
I want to thank propnut for his creative thinking while shooting with his gopro. It made for a much more interesting video. Thanks Doug! :thumbsup:

I had this music that I had downloaded from http://www.jamendo.com/en a few years ago but it never fit in the videos that I've made, until this one. It conveys the feeling of this day nicely

Time to get started on Part 4 Day 3
Enjoy! :skipper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-pCFFLfIiM
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Fishfeeder Welcome to AAB... Alaska is a very special place...... Hanging out with friends from AAB was just "brilliant"

Uncle Les........ Tellus about the Doug's (Propnut) first big fish (ever).......... How did it bite????? Lightly, Slammed the rod to the rail???? Monster runs or just floated on up????? First impression as you seen her come up from the depths????? Type of firearm????? Popping a few caps into her Gangsta stlye :rotfl: Formal Texas no bull shooting????? The feeling of the deck shaking as she slid on board. 164 pounds.......WooooooooHooooo

Since you had the Alaskan fire drill on the first......... what about Doug's second big Halibut on Wednesday??????? 150 pounds plus........ geeze the first two Halibut Doug caught...... Do you have pictures of Doug's second fish?????

How about you Doug (Propnut)????? Pictures from cell phone?????? Reactions from co-workers friends????? is it Lev???? Did you use butt juice????? Save that jig for memories??????

Who, What, Why, When, Where?????? Well lets not discuss where???? Unless you want the multitudes rafting where you caught her.

We need to hear "The rest of the Story"........ Heck I will not tell how epic Wednesday was for the kids and older kids on the "Patience".

WE ARE WAITING :joecool:

OOOoopppppps Scott posted some cool video just as I was making some noise at Welder and Propnut.

Very cool Scott alot of great things happened everyday. Meeting more hospitable Alaskans on the PWS. Dang it my timing was off........... Thank You and Keep posting Scott :thumbsup:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic