Alaskan's what a people 2012

Get-togethers and fun events
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Alaskan's what a people 2012

Post by spoiled one »

I have to side with Mojo and Welder on this one. Atlantis salmon for sure!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Come to think of it, I had Atlantis Salmon the other day. It looked just like the one in your picture ( minus the Zebco rod ). Grilled it, with a "Splash-O-butter" & sprinkle of Garlic Powder :thumbsup: Very Tastey........
DMan

Post by DMan »

Great pics and stories. PWS is a great playground!!
Memory Maker - 10' X 29' Glaciercraft in Whittier Alaska - Making Memories one wave at a time!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Capt. Pete is the one that started it for us and Scott and Mark do the pictures and video .
So far EVERYONE Pete has introduced us to up there in the Great State of Alaska are awesome.
Thank you Pete for sharing your play ground with us and Scott and Mark Thank you for the pictures and Videos but most of all.....Thanks for letting me share it with all of you.

OK Dug, thank you for joining the GANG and bringing your toys. Maybe we can get a 3rd or 4th boat next time and set up a floating base camp, maybe a couple of guys with open boats to fish on , just a thought.
Wish I could get mine up there for the next trip.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Some "Open" boats???? I think I could find one nearby, Lightweight, shallow draft, 2 livewells for fresh bait, GREAT on fuel. :thumbsup:

So who is picking me up & when are we leaving :?: :?: :rotfl: :rotfl:
DMan

Post by DMan »

There might be a few boats around. But that would mean fishing with that Pete guy, Doug I can take but Pete? Hmm.... (Haha, totally joking as I know Pete well!)
Memory Maker - 10' X 29' Glaciercraft in Whittier Alaska - Making Memories one wave at a time!
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Yeah..... That mean Pete tried stabbing me in the neck with a non-indigenous Atlantis Salmon. Yuck spots on it's tail and head, farmed in Texas ....... Sold at Costmo and Walmark. :rotfl: The Texas Tornado thing is just too unbelievable and over the top. Lester :mrgreen:

Hello DMan what is the current temperature in Anchorage?
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I aint making this stuff up, it really rains fish....
http://scienceline.org/2006/09/physics- ... iningfish/
Lester,
DMan

Post by DMan »

mojomizer wrote:Yeah..... That mean Pete tried stabbing me in the neck with a non-indigenous Atlantis Salmon. Yuck spots on it's tail and head, farmed in Texas ....... Sold at Costmo and Walmark. :rotfl: The Texas Tornado thing is just too unbelievable and over the top. Lester :mrgreen:

Hello DMan what is the current temperature in Anchorage?
Cold.... It was about 20 today but we got some single digits in the 5 day forecast. Have I mentioned I love my espar? It's a great igloo in the winter!

-Derrick
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355560206.573859.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355560206.573859.jpg (177.87 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dman, would you like to play with us on our next trip?
Man there is about 60' of Alloy in your above picture.... My day has been made.

Keep your Espar FULL of fuel.
Lester,
DMan

Post by DMan »

She stays topped off in the winter! We will see as it gets closer. Pete and I talked about it a little yesterday. I was mighty jealous when you guys were out this summer! I was out on the weekends on both sides of your trip.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I was jealous of the weather and I was there :clap: I am from Southern Cal. I came away from the adventure with a Alaskan Tan. :smitty:

Side tying up is the highlight to a adventurous day :thumbsup: Rafting up is such fun but can cause for embarrassment after many cocktails.......... Late at night and peeing over the rail.......... Sorry Doug and the Event Horizon for raining on your parade :rotfl: Just joking around it really never happened. Read Rule number 12 in the side tying handbook......... Never be the boat tied downwind to a larger boat.(Especially if Kenny eats Brussel Sprouts)

Geeeez looks like Pete and the Patience was Boater Homing. Glad too see the DMan and the Memory Maker showed up with a full arsenal of fishing rods :thumbsup:

Great looking pair of boats you have there Guys :thumbsup:

Pete and Doug have I thanked you today??? Thank You.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

There is a point in a recreational fishermens life when the pressure to catch fish is not the top priority. Pure enjoyment of the the present and the people you hang out with. Joking around and sometimes a little playful ribbing, good food and drink, enjoying the weather, ride and exceptional scenery. Lots of smiles and laughter. The fish was icing on the top. These Alaska Meet and Greets sure does fit the bill of a perfect fishing trip.

There is a joy of fishing with kids. I think it helps our memories remember fishing in our youth. Geeze..... I remember going to a local farm pond or going to a pier with my dad. I remember finding rusty hooks and discarded sections of fishing line. Tying up enough sections to reach the water and below. Though it seemed I would drop it only deep enough to see the small perch peck away at the bait. My first ocean trip on a boat. First big pelagic game fish. Helping Mr.Z with his first Halibut. Talking to Mr.T on the bow about lucky lures and catching fish with them. Though Scott says he is not good with kids, watching Scott interact with Mr.T and Mr.Z in real life is special thing indeed.

So..... on too the icing on the cake. A warm Alaska day on the "Patience" Bow. Flat calm seas in super clear water....... tiny shrimps, jellyfish and fish fry floating by..... oohhhh look a school of pink salmon lazily swimming by. Enjoying sun on my face and the beauty of Snow capped Montague Island. Mr. T popping his head up and out of the forward hatch. He was catching and releasing quillback rockfish when ever he felt the need. I was fishing with a 7'6" heavy Super Seeker Hercules Rod, 60 lb. Green Spiderwire on a Accurate X-Treme 600 reel. Jigging a Salas PL68 in glow pattern tipped with a tentacle of a shrimp stealing Octopus.

The fish wanted a slow jigging action. Some small twitches and a slow sweeping drag. Small twitches and a Slow sweeping drag. The small tap tap tap of small rockfish, kept from being hooked by the 9/0 Stainless Steel J hook. Twitch twitch Slow sweeping drag.......... something heavy latches on. In my mind some rock snagged?????? I was about to start sharply snapping the rod to unsnag my jig. The rod started bucking and peeling line off the reel in a steady powerful clip. Mr. T's rod gets bit too he is struggling with a very nice Quillback. Patience on the drift double hook up on the bow.

The difference of the sharp rapping pull of a Quillback and the heavy pull of a larger model Halibut is quite distinctive. I yell to the stern Woohoo big fish on............ Scotts yelling back to control my fish it is tangling up his line?????????? Scott not realizing Actually my fish is pulling the bow changing the drift of the Patience and dragging his baited rig. Scott is now telling me to walk the narrow gunnel back to the stern. I emphatically of refuse knowing it was a sure way to start swimming some very cold water. I say "nay" to walking the proverbial plank.

Mr. T pulling on his very respectable Quillback trying hard to keep out of the way......... Pete and Scott realizing by the bend of the rod and the powerful way line is stripping off the reel this fish is of nicer grade. Scott scrambling to get video and Pete setting up the Harpoon. I am pumping and grinding up the fish from the deep. It is sure nice to have a low gear option. Early color and this is the largest live Halibut I have ever seen. Not one to pull it's head out of the water and seeing this beast go berserk, I hold at 5 feet.......... The monster just holds there????????.......................... for ten seconds. Then with a burst of speed takes off 75 yards out. Line is actually roostertailing the water. "Ummmmmm Guys where are you??????"

Pump and grind back to the boat. Halfway there Pete Shows up with Harpoon, Scott shows up with Camera...... Unfortunately Scott is handed Mr.T's Rod to dispatch the quality Quillback. The Halibut not being very cooperative in being harpooned. I try to steer this beast using the rod tip to no avail....... ahhhhh first try with harpoon the Halibut jukes at a angle. Harpoon slides to the side. Second try the Halibut zigs to the side the Harpoon tip sticks. Pete worried it is not optimal (later proved to be just fine) The Halibut goes surface crazy, the ball realeased....... I am amazed the ball goes under but soon pops up.

Now I am feeling comfortable in walking the Gunnel and around the Davit. Back safely on the Stern time to start reeling my prize back to the Patience and hopefully on her deck. 410 shotgun comes out from nowhere. 25 feet, 15 feet, 10 feet, 5 feet, the 3 feet.......... hearing Mr. T saying this is going to be good..... putting a smile to my face. Plugging my ear and in Cajun spirit yelling "Choot Em Choot Em" Pop behind the outward right eye. A little quiver and she lay still. Heave Ho she's on the deck. Hugs and High fives it all a blur........ I guess I acted out what is now known as the "Mojo Quiver" I am speechless. Note to self take picture before bleeding the fish. Easier to hold without the head bending back and sliming up everything.

Cherry on the icing of the cake........... Prince William Sound Halibut fillets........ Yummmmmmmm

I'll add pictures after editing them to fit........ Thankyou so much Pete and Doug after so many months, the warmth of the memory is getting me through this winter. Thankyou Scott for being there recording the memory. Les as you know I thank you too.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Good read there, Mark. That is just how I remember it as well. It is not necessary to shoot these big fish, but we can, so what the hell? :highfive: I used to use an old ruger single six .22. It worked fine, but the .410 only holds one round and is much easier to control. I hear rumblings of the final day video being uploaded. Any truth to this? :popcorn:

I am already looking forward to the season 2014 meet and greet. :beer:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

We need to find a small island to set up base camp and get ALLOY motor boaters to come and go from there , we are going to need at least 3 boats next time.
Lester,
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

mojomizer wrote:There is a point in a recreational fishermens life when the pressure to catch fish is not the top priority. Pure enjoyment of the the present and the people you hang out with. Joking around and sometimes a little playful ribbing, good food and drink, enjoying the weather, ride and exceptional scenery. Lots of smiles and laughter. The fish was icing on the top. These Alaska Meet and Greets sure does fit the bill of a perfect fishing trip.

There is a joy of fishing with kids. I think it helps our memories remember fishing in our youth. Geeze..... I remember going to a local farm pond or going to a pier with my dad. I remember finding rusty hooks and discarded sections of fishing line. Tying up enough sections to reach the water and below. Though it seemed I would drop it only deep enough to see the small perch peck away at the bait. My first ocean trip on a boat. First big pelagic game fish. Helping Mr.Z with his first Halibut. Talking to Mr.T on the bow about lucky lures and catching fish with them. Though Scott says he is not good with kids, watching Scott interact with Mr.T and Mr.Z in real life is special thing indeed.

So..... on too the icing on the cake. A warm Alaska day on the "Patience" Bow. Flat calm seas in super clear water....... tiny shrimps, jellyfish and fish fry floating by..... oohhhh look a school of pink salmon lazily swimming by. Enjoying sun on my face and the beauty of Snow capped Montague Island. Mr. T popping his head up and out of the forward hatch. He was catching and releasing quillback rockfish when ever he felt the need. I was fishing with a 7'6" heavy Super Seeker Hercules Rod, 60 lb. Green Spiderwire on a Accurate X-Treme 600 reel. Jigging a Salas PL68 in glow pattern tipped with a tentacle of a shrimp stealing Octopus.

The fish wanted a slow jigging action. Some small twitches and a slow sweeping drag. Small twitches and a Slow sweeping drag. The small tap tap tap of small rockfish, kept from being hooked by the 9/0 Stainless Steel J hook. Twitch twitch Slow sweeping drag.......... something heavy latches on. In my mind some rock snagged?????? I was about to start sharply snapping the rod to unsnag my jig. The rod started bucking and peeling line off the reel in a steady powerful clip. Mr. T's rod gets bit too he is struggling with a very nice Quillback. Patience on the drift double hook up on the bow.

The difference of the sharp rapping pull of a Quillback and the heavy pull of a larger model Halibut is quite distinctive. I yell to the stern Woohoo big fish on............ Scotts yelling back to control my fish it is tangling up his line?????????? Scott not realizing Actually my fish is pulling the bow changing the drift of the Patience and dragging his baited rig. Scott is now telling me to walk the narrow gunnel back to the stern. I emphatically of refuse knowing it was a sure way to start swimming some very cold water. I say "nay" to walking the proverbial plank.

Mr. T pulling on his very respectable Quillback trying hard to keep out of the way......... Pete and Scott realizing by the bend of the rod and the powerful way line is stripping off the reel this fish is of nicer grade. Scott scrambling to get video and Pete setting up the Harpoon. I am pumping and grinding up the fish from the deep. It is sure nice to have a low gear option. Early color and this is the largest live Halibut I have ever seen. Not one to pull it's head out of the water and seeing this beast go berserk, I hold at 5 feet.......... The monster just holds there????????.......................... for ten seconds. Then with a burst of speed takes off 75 yards out. Line is actually roostertailing the water. "Ummmmmm Guys where are you??????"

Pump and grind back to the boat. Halfway there Pete Shows up with Harpoon, Scott shows up with Camera...... Unfortunately Scott is handed Mr.T's Rod to dispatch the quality Quillback. The Halibut not being very cooperative in being harpooned. I try to steer this beast using the rod tip to no avail....... ahhhhh first try with harpoon the Halibut jukes at a angle. Harpoon slides to the side. Second try the Halibut zigs to the side the Harpoon tip sticks. Pete worried it is not optimal (later proved to be just fine) The Halibut goes surface crazy, the ball realeased....... I am amazed the ball goes under but soon pops up.

Now I am feeling comfortable in walking the Gunnel and around the Davit. Back safely on the Stern time to start reeling my prize back to the Patience and hopefully on her deck. 410 shotgun comes out from nowhere. 25 feet, 15 feet, 10 feet, 5 feet, the 3 feet.......... hearing Mr. T saying this is going to be good..... putting a smile to my face. Plugging my ear and in Cajun spirit yelling "Choot Em Choot Em" Pop behind the outward right eye. A little quiver and she lay still. Heave Ho she's on the deck. Hugs and High fives it all a blur........ I guess I acted out what is now known as the "Mojo Quiver" I am speechless. Note to self take picture before bleeding the fish. Easier to hold without the head bending back and sliming up everything.

Cherry on the icing of the cake........... Prince William Sound Halibut fillets........ Yummmmmmmm

I'll add pictures after editing them to fit........ Thankyou so much Pete and Doug after so many months, the warmth of the memory is getting me through this winter. Thankyou Scott for being there recording the memory. Les as you know I thank you too.
Mojo, you should be a writer :joecool:
Quite a memory with the details
Video helps with remembering :beer:

Pete, just a rumor :scuba:
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

welder wrote:We need to find a small island to set up base camp and get ALLOY motor boaters to come and go from there , we are going to need at least 3 boats next time.
Or a floating bunk house...

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
DMan

Post by DMan »

spoiled one wrote:
welder wrote:We need to find a small island to set up base camp and get ALLOY motor boaters to come and go from there , we are going to need at least 3 boats next time.
Or a floating bunk house...
It would be kinda cool to drag that out somewhere.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Heh heh.......... We could park it at Eshamy Bay Lodge's Dock?????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
DMan

Post by DMan »

mojomizer wrote:Heh heh.......... We could park it at Eshamy Bay Lodge's Dock?????
Haha! Trying to cut costs? :-)
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

More for fuel, food and drink :thumbsup: I planned on staying on Eshamy Bay lodges owner Mary and Mark's beautiful Yacht :titanic: (joking)

On one of those Island Rock Outcroppings with one lone Pine tree, Pete wanted to set up a Picnic Table and Basketball Hoop. :rotfl: Give me a sleeping bag, large handgun and 10 gallons of Bug Repellent.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Swap the bug repellent for quality bourbon. Then you won't care about the bugs. You snore loud enough that I don't think a bear would come within a mile of you, either. First one to sleep wins! :beer:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I am afraid of attracting a amorous moose :shocked: and drinking would be a problem..... I remember college. :rotfl:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

mojomizer wrote:I am afraid of attracting a amorous moose :shocked: and drinking would be a problem..... I remember college. :rotfl:
Well, you would be more likely to see a mermaid than a moose in that part of the sound. I am impressed that you remember college. :beer:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Mojo, Dude, Carol went to college while you partied.
:beer:
Lester,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic