Wash wash wash that salt.....

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Wash wash wash that salt.....

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thoughts?

Big tub, or a 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum, fill with water and http://www.farwestcorrosion.com/ccpcoat ... r-wash.htm and let outboards run for awhile in the solution. Not all that sure the "over the counter" of west marine Salt X or salt-away is really all that powerful stuff.
CHLOR*WASH is an organic bonding chemical blend which aids in the removal of road films, dirt, and chloride, sulfate and nitrate salts. It contains no volatile organic compounds (VOC) and is non-flammable. CHLOR*WASH is biodegradable, and therefore is an integral part of a sustainable environment.

To all Pacific boat owners, Farwest also makes your non-skid epoxy deck paint. And we all know thats some good Sh-t!!

-as far as salt problems and outboards are concerned...."I'm be's yer exput". Just ask the Wolfie, I can send ya some pix if that's what it takes to convince you that your engine is not bullet proof.
JETTYWOLF

Re: Wash wash wash that salt.....

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I guess salt-X is as good, they sure make it sound wonderful.

Lots of good info:

http://www.saltx-saltremoval.com/Salt-R ... ntrol.html

http://www.saltx-saltremoval.com/ is this the same salt-X that's sold in the U.S. :?:

Here's the USA web site....same products, must be the same Aussie company: http://www.saltx.com/

ANYONE HAVE SOME TRUE LIFE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW WELL THESE PRODUCTS ACTUALLY WORK?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I'I'll stick to dipping the trailer, and brakes in the local fresh water pond and running the motor after using her....besides I always like the :?: "Are you launching that in here" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Alloy......I'm talking about doing MORE in the way of prevention. More than yer local pond is offering.

Guess we have no chemists here or ship type engineers who are familiar with salty build up, corosive film, and chlorine in even fresh city tap water, mixing with the isides of our HOT engine enviroments.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Jetty, what does Honda say to do??
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

-user yer little flusher connection, supplied.
-do it and keep doing it.
-then pay our certified mechanics a bundle of moola after a few years.

I've been studying this subject for quite some time. And actually anything but a cracked out of the can new engine the salt eliminators probably won't do much. Salt ""inside"" your engine is like a tattoo, it can come off...but not with out alot of pain and suffering. By way of $$$.

I've got almost 1400 hrs. So it's like taking tattoos off a 75 year old sailor.

But what I want to do is make sure the ole bastard doesn't get any more tattoo's, either.

Ya heard of the ole saying "Champagne taste on a water budget?" That's me.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I only have 500 hrs....

I submerge her as previously mentioned.....

Every couple weeks I'll tip the motor all the way up and hook the flusherator up to the garden hose which is attached to the hot water on the outside shower and let it purge....not sure what if anything it may be doing in there but it makes me feel "preventative"....

Beside the commercial guys I know leave their 4S down in the SW, never flush them and work them to the bone.....they have thousands of hours on them so who knows :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Deno

Post by Deno »

I use this stuff after every trip… If I fish 3 days in a roll I flush the last day.. I also spray it on my trailer and rear differential area on my truck, works good for me… Every time I replace my thermostats there is hardly any corrosion in or around the intake… My trailer also looks new and my truck has NO rust…

saltaway.jpg
saltaway.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yep, I have some too.

Don't have enough water pressure do run on the ear muffs, and made this and it still sends off the over heat alarm on the engine. It's deep enough, it's water level is up to the first cav plate. And the barrels full of salt-away. also!
still doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
still doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PICT0115.JPG (105.62 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
Worked once for photo sake, and every time since the overheat alarm goes off now.

I can't win. So I'm back to WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS TO DO AND THAT IS USING THE FLUSH ATTACHMENT ON MY ENGINE.
THE MANUAL AND SHOP MANUALS NEVER SAY USE ONLY EARMUFFS TO FLUSH ENGINE.

But my mechanic says to use only the ear muffs. And I can't......now what do I do?????? I'm on well water and a pump 100 feet from the boat.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Hook the garden hose to the flusher hose up top and fill the power head, and run the motor both in the barrel and with water being supplied to the power head....

JW you have a house filter on the well pump? I do and if it's clogged my pressure is quite restricted......
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Get a deeper flush tank. Those alarms are going off for a reason. :soap: :soap: :soap: :soap:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic