58 foot Long Range Cruiser

Post your Alloy pictures here
Napa Mike

58 foot Long Range Cruiser

Post by Napa Mike »

A few years ago, someone posted some pictures of an 80+ foot boat called Wind Horse that looked like a mini plate alloy battleship. The story behind the boat was an attempt to make a super-efficient and safe displacement hull for long range cruising. I stumbled on this cool looking 58 foot boat that must have been inspired by Wind Horse. The designer and builder has a lot of details on his facebook page, for anyone who is interested.
Cheers,
Mike

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artnauti ... 3140002724
Attachments
58 LRC.jpg
58 LRC.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: 58 foot Long Range Cruiser

Post by Chaps »

WOW!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Not sure I would want to be at the helm of that boat when in large following seas. :shocked:
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Fisherman wrote:Not sure I would want to be at the helm of that boat when in large following seas. :shocked:
I don't know about this new 58, but if you look at this site about "wind horse" and similar boats, they show them "surfing" in heavy seas, going up to 16 knots (regular speed is 9-11)! they are also supposed to be self-righting. Too bad I'm not rich--it might be fun to take one for a spin up the inside passage.

http://setsail.com/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

I'm not sure if you guys have read the 'bible' on (small) ocean crossing cruiser by Cptn' Beebe http://www.passagemaker.org/Documents/F ... &%20PM.htm of the Passage Maker fame, but there are a series of hulls that can be proportioned correctly to be able to haul fuel to cross oceans. These are all under 70' but of course its a little easier design when you get a bigger hull to haul more fuel.

The beam to length ratio, show in these photos is narrow beam to long length and the center of gravity is low so it can be self-righting and safer in long ocean passages where you can't run from the weather.

Unfortunately this boat will experience some corrosion in a few years unless its properly cleaned prior to more finish work. Nicely designed, if you like the 'gun boat look' now popular in some design circles, but way to agricultural for my taste as I'm more of William Garden fan, therefore less inclined to the "combine look" shown in the pictures.

I agree with Fisherman that in a following sea, the stepped deck platform will hold her down a bit as the combers overtake from the stern, and I consider this an inshore design as a result. It would be very interesting to read about the designer's intent in all the features and it does look similar to the wind horse in overall concept. The very shallow forefoot, however, may not be enough to veer the helm when the stern is lifted and she surfs, or is slewed by the wider transom being overtaken. If the rudder/keel/skeg are is reasonable then the chines combined with a shallow forefoot could balance, so she'd retain her heading in following seas. But she may still pitch pole if things got really lumpy?

The plumb stem with a very narrow bow, would allow the hull to pitch pole in extreme overtaking weather, not unlike a sail boat hull, but this same bow configuration will allow her to run very flat, with minimal pitch by the bow in a head sea, of course the decks will be awash an inordinate amount of the time to achieve this lowered resistance.

I think its a compromise shape intended to attain extremely low fuel costs because of the very low beam to length ratio (1:5? 1:6?) but that will make the forward accommodations so minimal that a 1:3.5 ratio regular design would hold twice to three times the crew in comfort! Its flat bottomed so all the equipment must be right on her keel/bottom to keep her upright? the engine is probably very small for a 58'er and anchor bowsprit is an embarrassment to the designer AND builder.

Shows what you can do if you have lots of money.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
nabeelah

Post by nabeelah »

This vessel is built by Dickey Boats,Napier,NZ and there is another one in build at this point in time .

http://www.dickeyboats.com/boats/custom ... oat/launch
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Thanks Nabeela. I am still following the owner's facebook page. I think he is close to making some test runs. I get the impression he has been camping out at Dickey Boats as he works on it. It is fun to follow.

Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic