Post by AlloyToy »

Looks like a new model.....no performance numbers out on it
Attachments
offshore_1.jpg
offshore_1.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 15530 times
Bob5292

Re: Duckworth Offshore

Post by Bob5292 »

I spent a couple of minutes at the last boat show looking over this new model. One thing that stood out was instead of using machine screws on the hatches they used extra sharp sheet metal screws, so if you reach into a hatch you better be careful.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

What did you think of the quality of the build, the welds ect....reminds me of a "Great Lakes" boat. Plywood floor in the cabin :!:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

A lot of the sled builders have come out with "offshore" models but they are really just scaling up the build processes and materials they use on their freshwater boats. Nothing particularly wrong with that but most of them are not the kind of boat you would want to leave in the water year-round IMO. :deadhorse:
Walt K

Post by Walt K »

I'm currently looking at the 26'. Hull is the Weldcraft Cuddy King. Duckworth and Weldcraft have the same parent company.

What's wrong with marine plywood in the cabin?
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Once ya have a industructable welded alloy deck...ya may wonder why they have a wood deck in such a big boat?
(ME...not AlloyToy's answer.)
If my boat had a wood deck in it wouldn't be sitting in my driveway, right now.

Maybe there's something we don't know.
But heck that just me.....I'm a Floridian :skillet:
My last boat had that f'glass stuff over a wood deck, that's the last one, for me.

The question really is, "why isn't the inside of the cabin have a welded aluminum deck in a boat like that".
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Was odd in my mind that they wouldn't do the whole deck in alum....it's a welded alum boat but they use plywood only in one section....what are they saving :?: and why :?:

Nice looking craft and reasonably priced for the BMT package

Gas tank alum or plastic?

Where will you be primarily using it Walt K :?:

Good luck with your purchase, and be sure to post up the fish pics :beer:
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

An exposed wood deck that is screwed down and covered with glued vinyl will eventually suffer from UV damage, the vinyl will deteriorate, the wood, even if marine grade plywood, will get exposed to moisture that seeps under the vinyl and doesn't dry, and then it will rot, or let that moisture pass thru into the sealed foam compartments below , until they get waterlogged, and you wonder why you're taking longer to plane....then you discover, after you remove the consoles, etc, and the old floor, that you're carrying 4-500 lbs of waterlogged foam.
and then you dig out the foam, spray new foam, seal it w. resin, install a new floor, and then spend $$ on a truck bed Rhino-liner spray job, and hope you don't have to do it again.
of course if you had a welded self-bailing floor in the beginning, you never worry about all that stuff.....don't ask me how I know :sarge: :-)
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
CWB
Sponsor

Post by CWB »

Nice boat for the $$$$. Noticed a few things they were discussing on changing. You may want to ask or look into.
1) Larger fish box?
2) Are they welding down the rear deck?
3) Is a heater system available? If so have they engineered for you down the road? Where would the fuel go?
4) Are you working with 3 Rivers Marine for the purchase?
Walt K

Post by Walt K »

Back deck is self-bailing aluminum; interior cabin w/ the marine plywood floor is separated from the outside deck with a nice threshold and sliding door and better not be taking on any significant amount of water ...
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

steve-r wrote:An exposed wood deck that is screwed down and covered with glued vinyl will eventually suffer from UV damage, the vinyl will deteriorate, the wood, even if marine grade plywood, will get exposed to moisture that seeps under the vinyl and doesn't dry, and then it will rot, or let that moisture pass thru into the sealed foam compartments below , until they get waterlogged, and you wonder why you're taking longer to plane....then you discover, after you remove the consoles, etc, and the old floor, that you're carrying 4-500 lbs of waterlogged foam.
and then you dig out the foam, spray new foam, seal it w. resin, install a new floor, and then spend $$ on a truck bed Rhino-liner spray job, and hope you don't have to do it again.
of course if you had a welded self-bailing floor in the beginning, you never worry about all that stuff.....don't ask me how I know :sarge: :-)

Steve buy a bigger boat=no foam.

That wood floor allows inspection and cleaning of the bilge by a normal size person. A welded floor would still need a access cover would it not to get the small cleaner dude in to clean and inspect
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

My guess would be that because they offer so many different cabin configurations this now allows a simple "screw down" application of things such as bench seats, tables, helm seats ect... This allows them to build one standard boat and sell a wide variety of inside configurations.......semi custom
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

My guess would be that because they offer so many different cabin configurations this now allows a simple "screw down" application of things such as bench seats, tables, helm seats ect... This allows them to build one standard boat and sell a wide variety of inside configurations.......semi custom
Almar22

Post by Almar22 »

My '92 Almar has fiberglassed wood floors inside the cabin, and in the cuddy area. The boat was used by a Sheriffs department and the hour meter has 5900 hours so it wasn't just kept in a garage somewhere! The internal floors are still in great shape, and being able to easily remove them is great. I sure wouldn't worry about that part of the build, just make sure the exposed decks are sealed and self bailing. I think it is a pretty nice looking boat for the price! Good luck with it and enjoy!
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

goatram wrote: Steve buy a bigger boat=no foam.

Workin' on it !!!
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I don't think some of the folks quite understand. The vinyl covered plywood is INSIDE the cabin. The floor of the cabin drops down to a different level when you walk in the door. This a very typical setup for any aluminum boat with a rear self bailing deck with a full bulk head door style cabin. A side from some water from boots rain gear etc. NO water is going to get into the cabin. The floor is usually easily removable or has (as the op pointed out) some inspection hatches for a bilge pump(good idea) or for storage etc.

Got to weldcrafts website and check out the photos of the hull.

http://www.weldcraftmarine.com/model-24 ... _king.html

Rod's power and marine in Tofino on WCVI has some great photos of Weldcraft Cuddy Kings as well. Again the same hull and I would assume same layout for the Duckworth's.

http://www.rodspowermarine.com/default.htm
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I realize that the plywood is in the cabin but there is really no point other than keeping costs down, to use plywood. Unless you have a heater always running, the inside of the boat will be damp. So there will be a good chance of mold and mildew plus the materials used to treat marine plywood are extremely corrosive to aluminum. Before I insulated my boat, it would rain inside the cabin. Also I noticed that the rear deck is screwed down and not welded so there will probably be some water in the bilge and your pumps will not get out every drop, that will help keep the humidity in the cabin pretty high. King, the manufacturer of Starboard, has a new non skid decking material that would probably be great in that application. My boat has the fuel cell inside the cabin and it is completely removable without cutting up the boat. There are 4 aluminum deck panels in the cabin that come up with screws to allow access and one large panel that comes up to allow storage.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Hey Bob,
If I'm leaving my boat for any length of time I put a small heater in it. I prop open any compartments for air circulation and evaporation etc. I could post photos of the best made boats in the world with vinyl covered floors in the cabin area all day long but I don't see the point. Maybe they are vinyl covered starboard?

I also saw the screws in the deck on these boats and wonder what that is about as I have not seen one in person. They are self bailing for sure. So maybe a gasket or sealant etc. Not as good as a fully welded in deck I agree.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Anyone know anything about the fuel tanks??? Plastic or Alum??
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sculpin wrote:I don't think some of the folks quite understand. The vinyl covered plywood is INSIDE the cabin. The floor of the cabin drops down to a different level when you walk in the door. This a very typical setup for any aluminum boat with a rear self bailing deck with a full bulk head door style cabin. A side from some water from boots rain gear etc. NO water is going to get into the cabin. The floor is usually easily removable or has (as the op pointed out) some inspection hatches for a bilge pump(good idea) or for storage etc.

Got to weldcrafts website and check out the photos of the hull.

http://www.weldcraftmarine.com/model-24 ... _king.html

Rod's power and marine in Tofino on WCVI has some great photos of Weldcraft Cuddy Kings as well. Again the same hull and I would assume same layout for the Duckworth's.

http://www.rodspowermarine.com/default.htm

Sculp...

Yeah we get it. Just asking why? Or why not, aluminum. Secured Aluminum plates can also be made to be lifted up and out. It all just boils down to manufacturing costs etc. I guess.

Bob,
your aerohead is so beautiful, I think a pimple isn't gonna make her un-date'able. :rotfl:
Walt K

Post by Walt K »

AlloyToy wrote:Anyone know anything about the fuel tanks??? Plastic or Alum??
Aluminum
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Walt K wrote:
AlloyToy wrote:Anyone know anything about the fuel tanks??? Plastic or Alum??
Aluminum

:thumbsup:
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I do not see a problem with the vinyl covered decks in the cabin in fact that is how my new boat is being made. If I thought it was a problem I would change it. I work with a lot of plastic in my marine products business and I can tell you changing all that plywood to plastic would add a lot of weight. To each their own if I want to later I can change my floor if it becomes a problem but I don't think it will.

They do actually make some foam core plastic to keep the weight down and if you had that product with a non skid surface it would probably work well. For me until I see that the plywood with vinyl is a problem I will not change it. I do keep my boat on a trailer with an air dryer running in it all winter because it rains alot in the winter here. I also plan to install a diesel heater for when I am using it.

Mike
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Just spoke to a customer on the Great Lakes. He purchased a weldcraft and had it built with alloy floors instead of wood.......absolutely loves the boat and loves the ride
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

C'C'mon Alloy.......whatcha doing to us?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic